Adapted or Inspired from Pattern?

I need a little help decided what term is more appropriate. My Dr. Who Scarf I am making was in a knitting pattern. I adapted it to crochet. Since it's a recreation scarf, the colours have to remain the same. However, the only other thing that is the same is the amount of stitches across. The amount of rows, colour changes, hook size, yarn size, gauge is all different.

So do I list this as adapted from so and so's Knitting pattern or inspired by?

Sore

Why not contact the designer of the knitting pattern and ask how they would prefer to be referenced? Be sure to let them know you'll give them credit for the original idea (use their name, pattern name, link to website, etc.).

I'm not sure if you're intending to distribute a pattern for your scarf or not. But before you do, it would be good to contact the original designer to make sure he/she doesn't think your pattern is a derivative work that is infringing upon their rights under copyright law for their original pattern.

Thanks Amy! That is a great idea about contacting her to ask. I will do that. I have no plans of ever handing out my adapted pattern. Plus I don't know anyone else crazy enough to make it! hehe

Sore

Thanks Amy! That is a great idea about contacting her to ask. I will do that. I have no plans of ever handing out my adapted pattern. Plus I don't know anyone else crazy enough to make it! hehe

Sore

the Dr. Who scarf will be a labour of love that is for sure...too long and tedious for me. My hat is off to you for the ambition to even try one. hope you will post a pic in show and tell of finished item.

Chrissy:

My Dr. Who Scarf is one of my Row a day till X-mas projects (except I'm doing nine rows a day to finish by August 1st, hehe). I will post a pic in there when its done.

It is tedious, but I like to challenge myself. Plus I get to say I made a 14 foot long scarf! lol

Sore

Well I heard back already. She's fast! She doesn't care what I do with it. So I guess I get to say inspired by and it becomes my creation!:clap I can even sell them if I so please. How about that?

Sore

Congrats on the pattern.

Got a question though...:D

Only 14 feet???

From what I remember the original was 27 feet long (yes my husband made me watch all of the old episodes when they were on PBS).

Sorry had to tease since you actually seem to know and like Dr. Who.

There is also a FREE crocheted Dalek pattern floating around online... I have it, but don't remember where I found it (want to say etsy, but not sure).

Hehe, there are actually many different lengths, depending on what season it's in! It can range anywhere from 10 feet to almost 30! Yes, I love Dr. Who. It was a great show! :)

Hehe, now you tell me theres a free pattern! I had fun making this one work so no real loss!

Sore

Archived