Fun fur scarf length??

Kimberly

Question

My 5 year old neice has to go in to have her tonsils and adnoids removed in 2 weeks. I am trying to finish up a fun fur scarf for her...yes, I know that she lives in Michigan where it is soon to 85°+ heat with 85% humidity, but she loves to play dress up and the scarf is multi-functional to where it looks like a boa!

My issue - how long do I make it? :think Since I am in Belgium and she is over there, I can not measure her for length (and I am trying to keep the scarf a secret from her mother). I am at 2.5 feet already, so I know that I have more length to go, but how much more?? :think

Thanks!!

5 answers to this question

As your scarf will probably stretch, it will not be too much of a problem.

When I knit a scarf, I use one ball of yarn, large needles and 19sts. Just knit until the yarn uns out with enough left to cast off. This makes about 36 inches.

Crochet will probably use a little more yarn but 36-40 inches should be long enough.

I have a little three year old here and I have tried some scarves on her. The 36 inch was plenty long enough and the 40 inch looked good also.

Hope this is helpful.

Colleen

PS Greetings from New Zealand to Belgium.

Thanks Celeste & Colleen! Celeste - your daughter looks to be about the same size as Gracie - do you think that a 40 inch scarf is long enough? I am doing it 16 stitches wide....

I originally thought that I would have plenty of time for this scarf as it was to be a Christmas present, but I found out this morning about the tonsils coming out, so I thought that I should send her something, especially since when I had my tonsils out 2 1/2 years ago she and her sister both colored me cute get well pictures and sent them to me in Chicago where I was living at the time!

Ps - Greetings back to you in New Zealand from Belgium, Colleen!!

Do you know how tall she is? When I make fun fur scarves, I know how tall the person is. Then I make the starting chain that height doubled plus a foot. So say she is 3ft tall....make it 7ft. When it wraps around her neck, and touches the floor on both sides....then it's a good length. This way it can be wrapped several times around the neck for added warmth or she can twirl it when wrapped once.

I am a horrible Aunt - I am not sure how tall she is - I only see her and her sister once a year, the last time was at Christmas....can we say I make up for it by being the cool, funky aunt who comes to town once a year with a suitcase of presents, trips to Chuckie Cheese and general all around spoiling? :lol

Perhaps i can ask my mother this one and tell her to keep it a secret!

Thanks Diamond!!

Archived