Need Help...

I haven't crocheted in atleast 10 years..and wanted to pick it back up. I work at University of Iowa hospital and clinics in the NICU and am part of a organization that makes hats, blankets, and other things for the babies and I really would like to be part of the actually making process. And I dont even know where to begin. There are a bunch of hook sizes...and I dont know which one I need to get?

It's kind of like riding a bicycle.

When I start teaching DD's friends I start with an Boye brand H hook and RedHeart Super Saver. (I use Bates hooks but when I was learning, I couldn't make that work for the life of me.)

There are some WONDERFUL tutorials out there to help you get started again. Even you tube has crocheting tuts to help show you how to hold a hook. I think Nexstich has better tuts than Annie's Attic.

Practice your chain until the tension is even and work your way to dc. By the time you make a baby size blankie it should all come back to you!

What a great thing you want to do!

To start, I would choose an easy pattern for an afghan. Crochet Pattern Central has a ton of free patterns. This is a pattern for an easy beginner afghan. It calls for an H hook and sport weight yarn. I would substitute worsted weight yarn, probably Caron Simply Soft. If you need a refresher on stitches, this web site has great tutorials. Plus, you can always ask for help here....everyone here is more than happy to lend a hand! Good luck!

Archived