Cradle Purse Help

sOCKsgirl

Question

Hi everyone. I hope there is someone out there who can help me because I am making this cradle purse as a gift for my little niece and I was hoping to have it finished by tomorrow when I would be going to her daddy's house so I could leave it there for her.

This is the pattern I have been following and it was going great until I got to the hood. http://www.geocities.com/crotiques/origcradle.htm

Row 4 is the one that seems to be giving me trouble. From the way it sounds I was supposed to be decreasing somewhere in there but it didn't have decreases anywhere I could see.

I can take a picture of where I'm at if that will help, I have 21 stitches on row 3 and then it doesn't say to chain or turn or anything so I thought maybe I was supposed to work around to the other side but that didn't work either.

Thanks in advance for your help

-Shannon

5 answers to this question

Go ahead and turn at the end of row 3.

You will do the decreases in rows 4 and 5 by skipping stitches. SK is an abbreviation for skipping.

Row 4: Skip next hdc, hdc in next dc, (skip next dc, dc in next dc) 5 times, skip next dc next dc, skip next hdc, hdc in top of ch-2. Ch 1, turn.

Row 5: Sc in first st, sk 1 st, hdc in next, dc next 3 sts tog, sk 1 st, sc in last st and down edge of hood

I thought I was following what the pattern said but it still didn't turn out right. I skipped the hdc, I did a hdc in the next dc (which is the first dc in the row) then I did skip next dc and dc in next dc 5 times and then it says skip next dc next dc so you skip 2 dc and then skip the hdc? so skip 3 stitches in a row and hdc in the top of chain 2?

that doesn't use up enough stitches as far as I can count row 4 only has 17 stitches in it when there are 21 stitches on the row at that point, and if you skipped 3 stitches in a row on that one side it will be all asymmetrical.

Maybe this is just a bad pattern and I don't know if I can figure out a better pattern for a hood on my own because I don't want to pull out all the work I already did on the purse part

no wonder that pattern was so bad they copied it from here http://www.******/crochet/crapur.html and it wasn't copied right. I'm going to have to look through the first rows and make sure I did it ok and then go back and finish the hood now that I have the right instructions.

no wonder that pattern was so bad they copied it from here http://www.******/crochet/crapur.html and it wasn't copied right. I'm going to have to look through the first rows and make sure I did it ok and then go back and finish the hood now that I have the right instructions.

I know this is crazy old, but did you ever figure out ROW 4 of the hood.  I can't get help anywhere to figure it out. 

Hi Dillweed!

I haven't made this, but I looked at the pattern from the post that you quoted and at the picture on ravelry from your other post.  It looks like the instructions for row 4 are slightly off on the count.  The instructions are for crocheting into 17 stitches, even though row 3 ends in 21 stitches.  The picture shows the stitches going into all 21 stitches.

Instructions from pattern:

Row 4: Skip next hdc, hdc in next dc, (skip next dc, dc in next dc) 5 times, skip next dc, hdc in next dc, skip next hdc, hdc in top of ch-2. Ch 1, turn.

I think what you really want is stitch in every other row 3 stitch.  The first 2 stitches should be hdc, then dc's, ending with 2 hdc.  The skipping stitches will give it the curve, while the 2 hdc on each end will give it the rounded look.

Does this help?  If not, ReniC said that she has made a lot of these.  Reni is still active on this forum.  Hopefully she'll respond to this. 

Archived