Infant/toddler head sizes

I would like to make my (soon-to-be) one-year old neice a hat and matching poncho, but I don't have access to her at the moment to measure her noggin to see what size I should make them.

Could one of you with a same-age kiddo measure yours for me or point me toward a chart online? I haven't had much luck!

(For reference: Eve is a big girl - she'll be a year old next week and wears 24 mos. clothes.)

Thanks for your help! I know I should have planned ahead, but you know how it is... :D

Thanks! I was planning on using Chelle's poncho. :D

I saw the chart, too, but I thought it just had to be wrong. Maybe I just have a small head - my head is only about an inch bigger than a toddler's! Should I worry? :D

Thank you!

I made one for my five year old daughter and her head is only 1-1 1/2" smaller than mine (which is scary and freaky all at once!). I found Chelle's poncho a little big in the neck line and added a row of sc around the edge to make it fit a little more fitted. So far, the chart has been right on the money with the head sizes.

I would suggest to make the starting chain a bit smaller than what the measurement calls for. The one I made for Gabby, my 3 yr old, was Chelle's pattern with Simply Soft, and I made a different pattern same yarn for Erica, my oldest, and they both ended up being bigger than I wanted, plus the yarn stretched out a little bit. Megan's was a little bit bigger too. I guess sc around the edges is good too, but from now I am going to chain a few less than what I measure out. Just FYI;) Good luck!!

Archived