newbie needs help

precious

Hi everyone!! I'm pretty new to knitting. I'm pleased with my progress so far but need to know, how do you control the tension?? I've crocheted for a long time. It's my favorite hobby but I wanted to expand myself. So I'm teaching myself to knit. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to knitting. :) I love it as much as I love Crocheting, but I'm much slower at it. Anyhow, I hold the yarn in the same hand for crocheting and knitting...and use exactly the same type of tension. It works really well for me. :) I hope this helps a bit. :)

Blessed Be.

When I'm knitting I don't hold the yarn the same way as I do for crocheting. When I crochet I wrap the yarn around my pinkie and over the top of my hand. When I knit the yarn is threaded over my pinkie, under my ring finger and over my middle and index finger. I don't need as much tension when I knit for some reason. Unfortuantly, a consistant tension when knitting really only comes with practice.

I don't wrap my yarn around my hand, I just hold it, and put it around the hook the same way each time. It seems to work okay. I think you just have to practice a bit until you find what you are comfortable with.

Yeah, pretty much comes with practice. I noticed though that when I was comfortable with my crochet skills, tension became easier for knitting as well (I'm still learning knitting though). When I first learned, I used my right hand to kind of YO, and I found that bothersome and awrward, and since I haven't knitted in about a year, I had forgotten and had to retrain myself, so I now use my left hand and hold it just as I do when I crochet, and it works much better for me.

Try different ways until you find something that's easier or more comfortable.

~~Cheri~~

Archived