what kind of yarn?

I have enjoyed making tote bags and purses, but would like to get into the wool {felting} side of it.

I am wondering what type of wool yarn you all recommend? Where can I get it from? I have done some research, and there seems to be all kinds of wool felt. I would just like my first project to be right.

Thanks in advance:D

Cathy

I mostly use Paton's Classic Merino. I get it at AC Moore, Michael's, Joann's. It felts great and is a good value for your money. I have also used Plymouth Galaway, Brunswick Germantown (discontinued), Noro Kureyon, Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride, Lion Wool, to name a few. These I usually buy at my LYS or online. Any 100% wool that isn't superwash will felt. Some blends felt also. Paton's SWS is part soy and felts super fast.

Be forewarned....felting is addicting and great fun! It also isn't an exact science - even when you swatch. Some wools will felt differently even within the same brand and different color. I have some great successes and some big disapointments. Your first project might not be perfect - or at least how you envisioned it. Just have fun with it!

Thanks for all your help,

The reason I was asking where to get the yarn from? I am up here in the middle of nowhere and the only place to get yarn within a 50 mile radius is wal-mart. JOY!!! LOL and then there isnt much of a selection.

I have looked at a few websites, and like I have heard others say, I want to touch it and see it in person. So I dont think that I could absolutely buy it online..

Thanks again,

Cathy

I've used Paton's Classic Merino the most since it is very affordable and my acmoore has a huge selection of it. Lion Wool is very similar. I understand about wanting to touch...but another really good option that felts beautifully and doesn't cost a fortune is knitpicks wool of the andes ( www.knitpicks.com ). I also love Noro Kureyon and have a list of others I want to try.

Archived