Has anyone tried the hooks from http://www.motionmagique.com?

mom2boys

I just got one. I'm not sure if I like it or not. Here's what I don't like. There is no thumb rest. Where my thumb rests is on the spot where you turn to tighten the hook into the egg shaped part. It is rough and it is metal. SO, I found a very soft and squishy pencil grip (the foam kind) and cut it a bit shorter and placed that on there and NOW it is comfortable. I just need to actually crochet with it for a while and see how my hand feels afterwards. I like that you can cut your own hooks and use them with the egg handle, although I haven't done that yet. The company is great and they shipped promptly and the quality of the hook is very nice. (I just clicked the link for their website and noticed that my egg part is NOT shiny. Mine seems to be a dark unfinished wood. Maybe I'll have to put a sealer on it to add a bit of a shine to it.)

I also have several other ergonomic hooks and handles and my favorites so far are the Clover Soft Touch hooks and the Clover Lighted hooks. I have the Provo set and I do like the trigger handle.

Thank you for all your replies! I went ahead and email Bella and she told me there's a spring special on Ebay today. I went ahead and bought the set of 10 hooks(instead of 6) for the same price listed on her website!:)

I can't wait to try them!:)

Good morning everkutz. I'd just like to make a quick response to a couple of your comments. Our original handle was shiny, but the shiny varnish tended to retain bubbles which caused a slight pebbly feeling for a few days until they wore off. The new handles are not as shiny, but they do have 2 coats of stain and a coat of varnish so they are not unfinished. The pay off for the loss of shine is that they are super smooth with a very soft, warm feel in the hand. You could certainly varnish it again, but the really shiny varnishes do have the bubbling problem.

I loved your idea about covering the mechanism with the soft squishy thing. Everyone holds their hook differently and the way I hold it, my hand never touches the mechanism. I'm self taught and a bit of a digger, so I hold the handle with my palm and guide the hook with my finger quite close to the tip of the hook. This seems to give me a lot more control and since this hook doesn't dig into my palm with the sharp end of a normal hook, I just love it.

Thanks for mentioning our spring special now going on ebay. It saves $11 over buying the extra hooks separately.

Bella

• 3 weeks later...

Hi--I am new to crochetville. I love this site!! I am mostly a knitter, but lately have been doing more crocheting than knitting.

I have made my own handles using Sculpey polymer clay--the kind you bake in the oven. I just squish it to soften it up, wrap it around a metal crochet hook, hold it the way I hold my handles when crocheting which makes a perfect mold of my hand on the handle, and pop it in the oven at 275 degrees for about 30 - 40 minutes, and I get a perfect crochet hook handle with a very comfortable, custom made thumbrest!! This has helped my hand and wrist immensly, and I can crochet all evening without pain. I will post pics on my blog this afternoon of my hooks and handles.

www.afteronemorerow.blogspot.com

Guest Catlizg

I purchased on the kits; Bella was kind enough to extend the special to me so I got all the extras as well. I received them today and promptly grabbed my yarn and thread to try out both. THIS IS JUST WHAT I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR.

The egg part fits comfortably in the palm of my hand and quickly takes on the body heat to become exceedingly comfortable. I tend to grab my hooks higher up toward the acual hook so very little, if any, of the metal fastener made contact with my fingers. What I also really liked is that since the handle is rounded there was no back end cutting into my palm or wrist on the inside.

I particularly like that it is one set and can be kept together. I don't have to worry about anything permanent on my hooks. I think it was a fantastic invention and am sure glad I invested. Makes all the difference in the world to me. As the old commercial said, "Try it, you'll like it."

Cathy

This looks like a great idea, but I'm strictly a pencil grip crocheter. I've tried other grips, but anything else just slows me down tooooooo much. Haven't the patience to practice a new grip when I could actually be crocheting. So - can these things be used by a confirmed pencil gripper? I'm waiting with bated breath for someone to enlighten me, so (if the answer is yes) I can order this little beauty. Thanks.

Guest Catlizg

I'm a pencil gripper too and tend to keep my thumb and forefinger tips fairly close to the hook. I rest the egg in the palm of my hand and find that I can crochet for hours and hours with no fatigue or sore hands whatsoever. In fact, the wood seems to warm up and you forget it is there. I can go from thread to heavy yarn and back to thread with no problems whatsoever. Best investment I've made for my crochet habi...er hobby.

Archived