Designers... How off were you???

This came to mind when I posted on another thread (oldest yarn in your stash... found in OTC)

When I was 8, I had no concept of what I needed for a project... I started making stuff on my own pretty much from the beginning... (I never did like following patterns.) :lol

Back to my question...

How off were you as a designer on your first projects???

I remember thinking I could make myself a shawl out of one skein of yarn when I was 8... I remember having my Mom make three trips to the store when I didn't buy enough yarn for a blanket... (all different dye lots... Of course! ;))

My mother doesn't knit or crochet, so she had no clue it wasn't enough... I feel my age excuses my error. :hook

i think the most problems i had as a young .. oh lets say designer :lol i mostly would get sidetracked watching tv while i knit or crochet and things would come out lopsided and i wouldnt fix them before the mistakes were so far back. i dont think i really made too off of estimations on yarn requirements because it was mostly bought for me by my grandma or mom who both knit so they have good estimation skills for me. now as an adult on my own it is another story. i dont so much not buy enough as i have delusions of exactly how far it will go :rofl but you know what are ya gunna do if you can only buy 6 balls of one dyelot you make it work and i always have. maybe some things didnt end *quite* where i would have wanted it but they always looked close enough no one would have known and they were for the most part either still functional or i was able to rip and re-do tighter to get those extra few inches i needed

Archived