Need Afghan Ideas for Fair

Last year was the first time I entered an afghan in the county fair. I made a Stitch Sampler/Bobbles and Lace afghan using scrap yarn. I won second place in the fancy stitch category. (If you're interested in seeing it check out the archive on my craft blog.) Yay! :clap

There's probably about 5 months before the next fair, so I figured I better start getting some ideas about what pattern to try. Anybody have any thoughts? I'm aiming for first place or best in show this time! ;)

I looked at your blog archives and the photo of the sampler afghan that you entered, and it's just SPECTACULAR! The colors are all beautiful together and the end result is very, very beautiful indeed! I'm drawing a blank, though, as to what to suggest when it comes to this year's entry. What about the Cathedral Rose Window? Would that be too involved to get it done before the fair? It would certainly be beautiful and different!

What would you say is your crochet level? Intermediate? How involved do you want to get? :crocheting I've got some suggestions of what have been county fair BOS winners in my county, but I thought I should check to see what your comfort level is.:D

Happy Saturday!

Colleen

I looked at your blog archives and the photo of the sampler afghan that you entered, and it's just SPECTACULAR! The colors are all beautiful together and the end result is very, very beautiful indeed! I'm drawing a blank, though, as to what to suggest when it comes to this year's entry. What about the Cathedral Rose Window? Would that be too involved to get it done before the fair? It would certainly be beautiful and different!

Thank you for the compliment. :D I love the Cathedral Rose Window and would definitely love to make it some day. I'm a bit of a procrastinator when it comes to joining though. In fact, a few years a go I crocheted a bunch of granny squares for a blanket that I've yet to sew together. :embar Still, I won't say that the CRW isn't a possibility. Five months should be enough time to finish it if I'm properly motivated.

What would you say is your crochet level? Intermediate? How involved do you want to get? :crocheting I've got some suggestions of what have been county fair BOS winners in my county, but I thought I should check to see what your comfort level is.:D

Happy Saturday!

Colleen

I guess I would say I'm at the intermediate level. I'll consider any level though. I mean, you have to challenge yourself sometimes. You might end up surprising yourself. :lol

Ok--here's some of our local BOS patterns.

BOS 2002 Sandusky County--Leisure Arts Fireside Cheer (but I don't like the colors in the picture.) from Afghans for All Seasons

BOS 2003 Sandusky County Leisure Arts Milady's Fans (but I don't remember what book it's from) Love this pattern!

Sorry I don't have pics of these. I don't know what I was thinking!

BOS 2004 Sandusky County Leisure Arts Reindeer Forest

It's actually in a really pretty green, but you can't tell from this photo

pic?id=5490riuOQ5BDyJX5xAhydcm9ag-8r9nl7ZrL&size=m

BOS 2005 Sandusky Co and Ohio State Fair Leisure Arts White Lace from the Quick and Cozy Afghans book. The beads weren't in the pattern. They were added

pic?id=5490riuOQ5BDyJX5xAhydcm9agZ4-e7coFn0&size=m

BOS 2007 Sandusky County and Ohio State Fair Anne Kirtley design Carriage Wheels from the pamphlet Afghan Elegance. You can't see in the photos really well, but the border was beaded as well.

pic?id=5490riuOQ5BDyJX5xAhydcm9al45Lzlk8nc0&size=m

pic?id=5490riuOQ5BDyJX5xAhydcm9al7ypo505qX7&size=mThis one had the most involved border and was the most time consuming, but I love the look.

These are all some really fun patterns and these books all had some other really great patterns in them. Hope this helps give you some ideas! Maybe I'll see you in Columbus!:yay

Colleen

love the Cathedral Rose Window and would definitely love to make it some day. I'm a bit of a procrastinator when it comes to joining though.

I have not made this yet but from what I've seen/heard, it seems there is some joining at the beginning but the majority is join as you go (could be wrong about that) - it sure would be a great entry though !!!

I also think the Blue Star Afghan or the Prairie Star Afghan would be good choices.

I've seen some gorgeous tunisian afghans with horses (or a horse's head) either worked into the afghan or cross-stitched afterwards. (I always think of horses and farm animals when I think of county and state fairs!)

Hope this helps give you some ideas! Maybe I'll see you in Columbus!:yay

Colleen

Thanks for the great ideas. I really appreciate it! Right now I think I might give the Cathedral Rose Window a try. Now I just have to figure out my colorway. I think right now it's down to TLC High Plains and Sedona or Patons Decor Mountain Top and Secret Garden for the variegateds.

I'm not sure I'd like black and white for the other colors with these choices either. I think if I went with the High Plains/Sedona I might go with a yellow and a taupe or brown for the window pane. I don't know about the Mountain Top/Secret Garden. Any thoughts about color choices? The only other thing I can think of is to pick one variegated and then pick a solid color. Decisions, decisions. I may just have to get a skein of each colorway and see what looks the best.

I've seen some gorgeous tunisian afghans with horses (or a horse's head) either worked into the afghan or cross-stitched afterwards. (I always think of horses and farm animals when I think of county and state fairs!)

Speaking of cross-stitched afghans, there's one that was a Herrschner's award winner that I would love to try to make for my dad (because he loves western books & movies) someday. It's a western sunset scene with a cowboy riding his horse. It's just incredible! :eek

Thanks for the great ideas. I really appreciate it! Right now I think I might give the Cathedral Rose Window a try. Now I just have to figure out my colorway. I think right now it's down to TLC High Plains and Sedona or Patons Decor Mountain Top and Secret Garden for the variegateds.

I'm not sure I'd like black and white for the other colors with these choices either. I think if I went with the High Plains/Sedona I might go with a yellow and a taupe or brown for the window pane. I don't know about the Mountain Top/Secret Garden. Any thoughts about color choices? The only other thing I can think of is to pick one variegated and then pick a solid color. Decisions, decisions. I may just have to get a skein of each colorway and see what looks the best.

Ooh! the Cathedral Rose is on my agenda for next year, but I'm terrible with matching colors. I alwys forward my patterns to my artistic sister first and she picks out my colors for me. I couldn't dress myself and match colors if they didn't tell me what to wear!

make sure you post pictures of how it comes out!

Good luck!

Colleen

I have the Cathedral Rose pattern. It is done in sections ther dosen't seem to be a lot of joining things. The center is all little pieces that need to be joind. Over all it doesn't seem to bad. I am enjoying it. I only work on it when the kids are sleeping because you do have to count a lot.:elle

Archived