Yarn and colors for Project Linus preemie blankets

mom2boys

Hi,

I'm interested in crocheting preemie blankets for Project Linus and am currently trying to finish up a few 12x18" blanket for preemies. My ds was born only weighing 650g and had received 3 blankets in the 3 months while he was in 2 different hospitals! I would very much like to crochet some blankets for the project too.

I'm currently using this pattern : Sideways Shell Baby Afghan (aka: Newbie Shell Afghan) from the projectlinus.org website using 'Real Worsted' brand baby lullaby yarn, it's a mix of pastel pibk, blu , yellow and white yarn. I was told this yarn is girly, so I also crochet some blankets with either yellow or green 'Baby Nova' yarn.

My question is what yarn do you use for preemie or baby blanket fot his Project and what pattern or patterns do you use? I'm a relatively new crocheter and has only been crocheting since last Feb and so far I love to crochet baby blankets since they are easier and hats!:)

Thank you very much for all your help!:)

Hi,

My question is what yarn do you use for preemie or baby blanket fot his Project and what pattern or patterns do you use? I'm a relatively new crocheter and has only been crocheting since last Feb and so far I love to crochet baby blankets since they are easier and hats!:)

My local PL has very few if any requirements for baby blankets, etc. other than just common sense ones - use soft, machine washable/dryable yarns (no wool) and patterns that aren't too lacey or holey (so that things like IV tubing don't catch in them). Oh, and bright or pastel colors appropriate to babies or children. That's about it. Do what *you* like to do, I'm sure they'll be thrilled to get whatever you care to make. Me, I go for simple patterns that I can do in front of the TV that don't require a lot of assembly or weaving in at the the end. :lol

BTW, I was a preemie too. 1 lb 12 oz., 3 months early at a time when neo-natal consisted of airlocks and vigilant nursing sisters!

The biggest thing is to make sure it is washable and doesn't have too many "holes". I've used lots of colors, yarns and patterns over the past few years to make them. They're needed in all sizes and all colors. I just wouldn't suggest black (unless used as a color seperator in a bright/bright rainbow blankie) or any other "adult" color. All weights are good too. Some like/want a heavier WW blanket, while some do better wraped in a sport/baby weight blankie. Basically, if you make it, it will get used and loved. I really do need to get working on some myself....

[quote name=Triskele;1191305 Me' date=' I go for simple patterns that I can do in front of the TV that don't require a lot of assembly or weaving in at the the end. :lol

BTW, I was a preemie too. 1 lb 12 oz., 3 months early at a time when neo-natal consisted of airlocks and vigilant nursing sisters![/quote]

What patterns do you use? Regarding you being a preemie too, my ds was only 650g or 1lb 4oz when he was born 6 weeks early and he was only born then because my dd's amnio fluid was getting low. He hadn't been growing in utero since 24th week. The OB was surprised that each week we had an U/S he was still there! She even asked us to think about his funeral!:(

Usually I just make something up and don't use a published pattern. Try it, it's fun! For me it's more about the colors and texture of the yarn than a particular pattern. Of course the main PL web site has several patterns you might enjoy.

Are you talking about your grandson? You did say your DD amnio, right? Glad to hear he's doing well.

Usually I just make something up and don't and don't use a published pattern. Try it, it's fun! For me it's more about the colors and texture of the yarn than a particular pattern. Of course the main PL web site has several patterns you might enjoy.

Are you talking about your grandson? You did say your DD amnio, right? Glad to hear he's doing well.

I'm not that old!:) My b/g twins are now 2.5years old !:c9:) Ds3 is a 17lber only while dd is much larger at 26lbs! Two moms asked me last night what the age difference between my twins since they obviously are not the same size!:) I love seeing their reactions when I say she's 2.5 and he's 2.5 years old too!:) However, I look forward to having grandkids from my 3 sons and 1dd after at least 25 years later !:)

Archived