Need advice on teaching a class

I was wondering for those who teach as a group or have taught as a group,How did you teach your very first class? Like what was your lesson plan, what did you teach? Did you have them already crocheting the very first class, was everyone a beginner or did you have a mix of different experience levels?

I ask because my proposal to start a crochet group in my church was approved.I have never in my life taught as a group.There will be a mix of experience levels in the class from never done to avid. I am just trying to organize my thoughts and try to come up with some type of plan. I am trying to organize myself so I am not all over the place and winging it.I want them to have fun, and not be confused because im jumping from one thing to another and back again, know what I mean? I was just wondering if you had some advice and how you did your first class. I appreciate any help or advice you give. Thank you!

Kim

Cliffnote

Congratulations on having your class proposal approved!! :clap Yes, that first class is always a little tricky because you don't know the personalities of the crocheters you're dealing with and what their goals and/or skills are.

I usually started my classes by asking the members why they were interested in learning how to crochet. Their responses can be quite helpful to you as a teacher. Following that, I gave a short "plug" for crocheting, affirming for them that they are learning at a very exciting time in the craft.

Then I would introduce the hook and its parts and the ways to hold the hook. I would show how I hold the yarn in my left hand and show how I hold the hook in my right hand. We'd practice that. We'd learn how to make a slip knot and we'd practice that. Then we'd learn how to chain. I'd explain what the abbreviation was for "chain" in a pattern, and what chains are used for (starting a project, moving from place to place, etc.) Following that, we'd learn how to work back into the chain by learning the single crochet (same thing: abbreviation, uses, etc.) That would be the most I would try to teach in a first class. Sometimes we wouldn't even get that far and other times we might go beyond this; it all depends on the class.

I occasionally had some students in a beginners class who were quite familiar with crochet and were taking the class to "brush up" their skills or to learn to read patterns or any variety of reasons. However, if the class was promoted as "beginning crochet", I always taught the class as if the students didn't know anything about crocheting (and I explained this). If the class was promoted as "crocheting group" or "yarn club" or something like that, then I would try to accommodate all the various skill levels present.

If I could give you one piece of advice, I would say be positive! Anyone trying to learn a new skill needs lots of affirmation, so your patience and upbeat attitude can help them be patient with themselves.

You're going to do great, and you are already doing well because you are going in with a plan. I'm sure someone else will be along to tell you how they do things, too. Best of luck to you and let us know how you make out! :yay

One thing I'd think about seriously is: if you do have multiple levels of people there, then you may have others who can help out. As an example, if one showed up who is very good at crocheting and is just there for the company...and others are there just to brush up because they haven't done any for a bit. As you are busy teaching the beginners, let the others sit off to the side, and have the one who's just there for company, help the others who are just brushing up. Maybe if the community at your church figures out you are there for everyone, they will be all about having a night where everyone just gets together to stitch and complain or talk. LOL.

Blessed Be.

There's a great book put out by Leisure Arts titled Teach a Group of Kids to Crochet by Kay Meadors. I wouldn't say that it is just for teaching kids though. It has 8 different lessons and 8 different projects to complete.

Archived