Another newbie

silvermoon42

Hey everyone! Another newbie here that wants to learn to knit. I've been crocheting for almost 3 years, mostly just baby blankets and what not. I bought some knitting hooks (I mean needles, lol...my bad) and a "learn to knit" book and just haven't gotten too far.

I think I'll do better with videos to watch...have looking at knittinghelp but didn't find it to be much help, lol :(

I was thinking of starting with a chunky yarn as I thought it may be easier to work with so I can kind of "exaggerate" my stitches and really see where I'm going...but thats about as far as I've gotten, lol :lol

I'm sure you've heard this a million time, but I'll take any tips and tricks anyone has concerning knitting and any sites that might help me out. I'd really like to learn but don't have anyone to teach me (I also taught myself to crochet)

Thanks for your time and thanks for any help you can offer! :hug

:hug Welcome to the group. If you have a Michaels or Hobby Lobby nearby they might offer classes. Local yarn stores are also a great resource for actual hands on help. I once stopped in for a drop spindle and was given a free lesson in spinning on the spot!

I am kind of lost on the 'knitting hooks' but i am going to just guess you meant needles and go from there LOL

I have been only knitting for a year and I have come a long way , so You can too!! go to the local library and pick up somebooks there, to go thru and see which style of learning book works best for you. Knittinghelp.com is priceless And if I may be so bold as to suggest something....Start learning on a yarn such as a skien of Red Heart yarn. Less fuzz to fight thru, and so much easier to see what you are doing, thus making it easier to learn how your stitches should look and be able to see errors such as twisting and dropping. This is what got me over that final ' knitting bump; because I figured bulky would be better, yet it was such a struggle for me to see what I had been doing.

I didnt' even pick up on the 'knitting hooks' thing, lol. Thats funny :)

But thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely check out the local library and look into my local yarn store (yep....I got one around here!) and see if they have any suggestions.

I am getting the hang of the knit stitch...but that purl stitch sure has got me!

Thanks again!

I definately have to suggest to use something less bumpy to start with. I wish you a ton of luck. Another thing, if you can do it, is to watch shows like knitty gritty on the DIY network. I am not trying to plug the show but I am a true beginner, and I cannot tell you how much this show has taught me. Watching other people, and the different styles of knitting is really interesting. Plus you can get the patterns for free if you want to try them.

Good Luck!!

Yes, I agree....I had so much trouble mastering the PURL....then one day I just stopped fretting over it, and like magic...It worked!!!! Just practice, practice and practice. The PURL just feels funny when you start, soon it will be a snap and you will be doing it while reading and watching TV!!

I'm a newbie too! I bought the how to knitting book too. It took a while but I got the hang of it. I like using bulky yarn and at least a size 10 or 11 needle. A size 15 is too big and the stitches for me get so sloppy. With practice the knit, purl and tension just got better. I like using the circular needles (for regular knitting). It's so much easier to handle (lighter and I don't have to worry as much about dropping my stitches) and my fingers don't hurt as much. Good luck! :D

Archived