shelbyro--sunshine lace afghan--help!

DesertCrocheter

Question

Can I impose on you, shelbyro, again, to take a look at the pattern for the sunshine lace afghan border? I finished the rest of the afghan over the weekend and started on the border. But instead of "113 evenly spaced sc to the next corner" for round 1, I can only evenly space 103 sc (by sc in every other stitch) before I reach the second corner. Can you look at the border pattern and translate it for me? I'm worried that my second and third rounds won't work if my number of stitches is so significantly different.

MAny amny thanks!!! Patty

6 answers to this question

EEk! I am not up to the border yet (I work on about 8 things at once, lol), so let me catch up to you--I have about 15 rows left--you've given me a reason to get my butt in gear! Then I will take a look at the border instructions. I will also look at them tonight, but am not sure if I can "get it" until I finish....

No, no, no! Don't drop everything and do this, please don't. I just thought maybe you were better at reading patterns than me. I have to sit there and translate into my head, and I'm still very, VERY new at this. So take your time, and whenever you get to the border, just don't forget about me. This is my sis and bil's Christmas gift, so I have plenty of time to get that border correct.

So please, don't go back to this on my account. Just do whatever you were doing and when you decide to finish this project, let me know (and see!).

Thanks!:hug

Patty

No, I REALLY want to finish this. It's for on my swing outside this summer. It's coming!!!! I will reply here as soon as I try the border.

hugs!

I have started the sunshine lace afgan and I have gotten to the 2nd row instructions and I am SO CONFUSED!! I am rather new at this and would really like to make this for my mom. If anyone can put this into novice terms that would be very helpful. Thanks

Sweetmnmommy@hotmail.com

I should probably mention what the pattern says incase you dont have the pattern

Row 2 (right side): Ch 3 (counts as first dc throughout), (shell in next shell sp) twice, *ch 2, sc in 3rd ch of next ch-3, sc in next tr, sc in first ch of next ch-3, ch 2, (shell in next shell sp) twice, repeat from * across, dc in top of beg ch-3 turn.

Basically I am having trouble after the *

sweetmnmommy: I have not made this afghan but I have the pattern so maybe I can help you figure it out. Your trouble is with row 2, so let's look at row 1 and figure out where your row 2 stitches will go.

Row 1 looks like (note that I left off the chain 3 that counts as the first dc):

Shell Shell ch ch ch tr ch ch ch Shell Shell ch ch ch tr ch ch ch Shell Shell etc.

Your trouble with row 2 is after the *, so before that you should already have made a shell in the chain in the center of each of the first two shells of row 1. So you just finished the last dc of the second shell. You have that ok, right?

Now do your 2 chains, then look at row 1 below. There should be the 3 chains prior to the treble. Put a sc in the third chain (the one next to the treble). The sc goes into the chain stitch itself (under the top two loops and above the third loop). Then another sc in the top of the treble and a third sc in the first chain of the 3 chains that are after the treble. After that last sc, chain 2, then you're back to doing two more shells again.

So it should look like (again I omitted the chain 3's at the beginning of the rows):

Row 2: Shell shell ch ch sc sc sc ch ch Shell Shell ch ch sc sc sc ch ch Shell Shell etc.

Row 1: Shell Shell ch ch ch tr ch ch ch Shell Shell ch ch ch tr ch ch ch Shell Shell etc.

Have I helped or made things worse?

Ginny

Archived