Confused about pattern/bobble stitch

kel12347

Question

Hi everyone! I'm new to posting on the forum, but have been reading it for a while. I'm also pretty new to crochet.

I have a pattern for an afghan using a bobble stitch. The afghan uses four strands of yarn held together. The pattern states that for the first bobble stitch, I need to:

sc in first dc, work bobble in same st as follows: (yo, insert hook in same st and draw up a loop) 3 times

So here's my question: Am I to draw up just one loop of the stitch, or all four loops of the stitch three times? I tried doing all four loops, and I can't even pull it up three times without running out of yarn. I've also tried drawing up just one loop, but it ends up looking like a big messy clump of yarn. What is it supposed to look like? I have a picture, but it's small and black and white.

Thanks!!

2 answers to this question

sc in first dc, work bobble in same st as follows: (yo, insert hook in same st and draw up a loop) 3 times

So here's my question: Am I to draw up just one loop of the stitch, or all four loops of the stitch three times? I tried doing all four loops, and I can't even pull it up three times without running out of yarn. I've also tried drawing up just one loop, but it ends up looking like a big messy clump of yarn. What is it supposed to look like? I have a picture, but it's small and black and white.

Thanks!!

If I were to do a bobble stitch I would:

yarn over then insert my hook into the stitch, draw up a loop, yarn over, insert my hook again, draw up another loop, yarn over once more, insert my hook again, draw up another loop; ending with 6 loops on the hook, yarn over once more and draw thru all 6 loops on hook.....now you have a bobble stitch....it should look like a puff ball (for lack of better terminology). I hope this made some sense. :hook

Kel12347.

Take your pattern picture to the local Copy Centre and get it enlarged so you can see the picture better.

The bobble is just a series of stitches, all done into the same place, which are not completed until you have X number of loops on the hook, then you hook through them all at once. It is a little awkward to start with but you get used to the twist of the wrist needed to complete the stitch. I usually do a single CH straight after to firm up the top of the bobble.

This is quite a slow stitch to do so maybe you need to find something a bit simpler to start with just to get you into completing something so you dont get discouraged.

Have fun.

Colleen.

:cheer

Archived