Newbie question about length of circular needles

jasmom

Hello! I'm really getting into knitting and I want to try a project using the circular needles, but there's so many of them in different sizes and length.:eek I went to Michaels today to try to pick up a few but I could not find any that were the exact lengths that I need. (Yes, I'm going to break down and buy myself a set of interchangeable needles and dpns too! Any suggestion on where to buy them would be appreciated too). In the mean time, does it make a big difference if I use a size 7 needed that requires a 24" length and I have a 26" length of even a 29:think?

Thanks for the help in adance!!!!

The main thing is that the length of the circulars need to be SMALLER than the diameter of what you're making. I use 16" circulars to make adult size hats with a circumference of 20-24". So it depends on the size of the project.

When in doubt go smaller than you think you need.

The length matters because you are working in the round...the 29" would be too long and will most likely make your project look wrong and your stitches may not be as consisent.

As for the interchangeable sets. Denise is a good one they are plastic and not too pointy. Knitpicks has metal and wood and they are pointy. I have heard only compliments about both...I am personally working on saving up for the Knitpicks Harmony (wood) set.

DEFINITELY go for shorter cables over longer ones. You can always scrunch more stitches on a cable that is a little short, but if it is even the least bit too long you will be stretching your stitches out of shape to make them fit (and fighting it all the way!)

I automatically grab a shorter cable than patterns suggest because too many times I have found they are too long. As you have found there are endless variations of needle size/cable length and you can soon become overrun with all the various sizes. Interchangeable sets are a good solution, but one problem I always have is the needle wanting to unscrew from the cable while I'm knitting. (Boye needles). Drives me NUTS! A better quality product may not have that problem, but they can get expensive.

Good luck and happy knitting!

Thank you! I just purchased the harmony needles. Now if only I could find the shorter cables:D

DEFINITELY go for shorter cables over longer ones. You can always scrunch more stitches on a cable that is a little short, but if it is even the least bit too long you will be stretching your stitches out of shape to make them fit (and fighting it all the way!)

I automatically grab a shorter cable than patterns suggest because too many times I have found they are too long. As you have found there are endless variations of needle size/cable length and you can soon become overrun with all the various sizes. Interchangeable sets are a good solution, but one problem I always have is the needle wanting to unscrew from the cable while I'm knitting. (Boye needles). Drives me NUTS! A better quality product may not have that problem, but they can get expensive.

Good luck and happy knitting!

When I first started knitting I went to a fantastic LYS, where the owner suggested that I purchase longer cables and use the magic loop method, which would save me from having to buy several sets of dpns and cables. I'm so glad she told me that--I invested in addi turbo needles & use them for straight knitting as well as circular. :)

If you're interested in magic loop knitting, here are some videos: Knitting Help and

. There's also a group on Ravelry.

When I first started knitting I went to a fantastic LYS, where the owner suggested that I purchase longer cables and use the magic loop method, which would save me from having to buy several sets of dpns and cables. I'm so glad she told me that--I invested in addi turbo needles & use them for straight knitting as well as circular. :)

If you're interested in magic loop knitting, here are some videos: Knitting Help and

. There's also a group on Ravelry.

Thank you for the info and the links! I will click on it and check it out! :)

Archived