Crochet Thread

I feel a bit silly asking about this... I have a complete understanding of how ply and weights work with regular yarn but I'm a bit lost about crochet thread. I understand that it comes in different sizes, but can't figure out which size is the bigger, which is the smaller, what's the difference?

I've spent ages in the wool section of the local store trying to figure out which thread is appropriate for the project I want to undertake (Katchkan's Proud Dragon Wall Hanging - ambitious of me, I know!). Half the balls of thread have no information on them as to what size they are, and they are too expensive to buy and experiment with (nearly $5 a ball - a lot more than a ball of yarn costs). And I have been unable to find any balls of crochet thread that say specifically #10 crochet thread.

So I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out with my issues here! I have tried to find some information by googling but the information I've come across is very general. I also don't know if the size of crochet thread is labelled differently in Australia to the States (like how regular yarn is listed by different names for weights).

Confused yet? I am! :confused But basically what I'm looking for is a basic explanation of how the sizes of crochet thread work and what sort of thread to use as an alternative for the wall hanging (when I can't find any listed as #10 thread... I have tried Spotlight and Big W. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough?).

Thank you in advance for even reading this post and especially if you're able to help!

Kristy

The larger the number the smaller the thread. The smallest thread being made these days being a size 100, the largest a size 3. Size 10 thread is probably the most common.

It may also be called bedspread weight or just crochet cotton. I am not sure if it has any other names internationally. Wouldn't it be wonderful if there was an international standardization of labeling.

One thing to look for is if they give a recommended hook size. A size 10 thread normally calls for a hook size around a 1.8mm to a 1.5mm. That would give you a fair indication if that is the size thread you are looking for. I use a 1.65mm hook normally when working with size 10 thread.

Hope this helps you find what you need.

Others from Australia maybe able to give you more information on what you can expect to find where.

Thanks so much for replying and explaining. I have a better idea of what I need now. I just got your pattern today - thank you! I'm very excited to start it, so I'll be off to the shops to find some thread today.

Thank you again!

Kristy

Your best bet is Spotlight, that's where I get my thread. DMC Babylo is one of my favorites, it has a beautiful sheen and great to work with. It is expensive (nearly $6 a ball) but well worth the cost in my opinion. The little cardboard insert on the top will tell you the size (I usually work with 10) Good luck! :hook

Thanks Nikki. I actually went up to Spotlight this morning and spent awhile in the thread section. I looked at the Babylo - it was the only one I could find listed as #10 thread. Unfortunately they didn't have it in black which is what I wanted. I ended up getting DMC Petra #5 thread which is paired with a smaller hook (could only get either 1.5mm or 2mm - nothing in between). So I'm hoping the size difference won't be too vast. But even if it is - doesn't matter. It's a pressie for my hubby and he won't be picky. He's likely to think the bigger the better when it comes to dragon things anyway! :)

Should I attempt something else in thread that I want to do in colour, I'll definitely try the Babylo! Thanks again :)

Archived