Michigan Crocheters-Skylar's Closet

Becki

As many of you know, I'm a legislative aide in the Michigan House of Representatives. Recently, a Representative and his wife lost their premature child. They had a difficult time finding clothing to fit such small babies and so have started up Skylar's Closet to collect clothing, hat, bootie, blanket donations for stillborn, sick, and premature infants in Michigan. Most of these babies are in the 1-5 lb range.

Anyway, they are going to accept donations on an ongoing basis as part of their foundation and I thought that some of you might want to assist in making tiny clothes and such for this worthwhile program.

Here is a link to more information about Skylar's Closet: http://www.greenlightfoundation.org/Skylar's%20Closet.htm

If anyone would like more information, you can contact me. Any packages can be shipped to:

The Honorable Kevin Green

Michigan State Representative

P.O. Box 30014

Lansing, Michigan 48909

I would love to help out, I have some baby yarn that I haven't known what to do with...so I'll start searching the 'net for preemies clothing patterns and hope to send something your way soon!

Thanks for doing this!:hug

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of their baby. I lost two babies to miscarriage myself and that is one of the reasons I started crocheting for charity- to honor them.

I have so many projects backed up I can't add any more at the moment but I wanted to tell anyone who may not know that I have micropreemie hat patterns designed for heads as small as golf-ball sized- someone contacted me and asked me to design hat patterns that small for babies that do not survive, and so I did.

Please feel free to use any of these patterns for any project like this, that is what I made them for.

You can find them here.

hugs,

Ro

What a wonderful thing to do for grieving parents. I have never seen an infant so small and just can't begin to imagine the grief. Although I would think to receive clothing to dress their babies in for burial would bring some small comfort during this time.

But clothing for preemies who survive is also needed, right? I wouldn't know where to begin to make items in the right sizes. Can you give any help with that?

Clothing & Booties

Do you know of any resources for crochet or knit patterns for infant clothing and booties this small? Or would you just use patterns for dolls? And what size dolls?

Hats

I found the hat patterns linked to in Ro's post. Thank you, Ro. Plus, I've made preemie hats before.

Blankets

What size(s) should blankets be?

Ro, thank you for that link. And thank you to anyone who donates something. I've been searching and searching and patterns are hard to come by. I'll post a link here shortly to some preemie stuff I've found. Plus, I've been trying to work out a bunting for snuggling that is preemie sized as well.

Oh, you guys I just had to share. I made two cardigans this weekend using this as my pattern: http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/baby-shirt.html

I added longer sleeves and one I made as directed in pattern which is like a large preemie size and the other, I used less stitches and made even smaller (which I'm happy to share if you'd like). I can't wait to get the matching hats and booties done so you guys can see them. So cute.

Oh, you guys I just had to share. I made two cardigans this weekend using this as my pattern: http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/baby-shirt.html

I added longer sleeves and one I made as directed in pattern which is like a large preemie size and the other, I used less stitches and made even smaller (which I'm happy to share if you'd like). I can't wait to get the matching hats and booties done so you guys can see them. So cute.

Becki, Care Ware has a bunch of preemie patterns too linked to their site. . .

Archived