Help Switching yarn for mittens

suzidemars

I'm so glad there is a knitting section here. :cheer

I want to make these mittens http://spinderellas.com/patterns/mittens.html

But the yarn I have is sportweight, not worsted, and I have size 8 DPN's not #10.

I'm not sure if I would need to change the pattern somehow? Or maybe use 2 strands and knit a little more loosely?

The yarn I have was given to me as a sort of "gift" but I want to make the mittens for the person that gave it to me. It's not cheap, it's $15 a skein natural mohair and I'd hate to screw it up. SIL gave me a bag of 7 different skeins to play with, so I don't really have alot that matches to make anything major out of. Its all different weights and colors. She doesn't knit or crochet, she just really loves felted stuff. I guess the lady at the store wasn't very helpful for a person that doesn't do yarn crafts...:think

I think that you could probably double the yarn...but as far as the needle size goes..I think you really need the size 10's. If you use the 8's I would think that it would still come out too small. I have never knitted and felted anything with a smaller needle size than a 10. You need it to be rather large in order for it to felt down far enough to lose all stitch definition.

Archived