Need Exp. Knitter help LOL

Dangerouscrochet

Ok, I have taken on the " We Call Them Pirates " Hat that is on Ravelry and also free on the web. My Question is

The pattern states you need a size #3 needle in '16

I have purchased and started this on a size #3 needle '24

1.) Is this why I am having such a bugger of a time sliding the stitches around?? I bought knitpicks spec for this job, so I was not expecting trouble.....

ALSO:::::

2.) Is it possible to change into the correct cable length ( change into a #3 ' 16 like I was supposed to do) now that I have already started???:think

At the time of purchase, I THOUGHT that if I purchased the longer cable length, it would be easier....But now I am thinking that I have made myself more trouble.:(

So I need to find out, that way I can purchase the CORRECT length tomorrow while Christmas shopping.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking the time to peek in here and offer your help.

Beth, Who evidently is just as dangerous knitting:yes

Yes, that is exactly why you are having a bugger of a time. 16" is the perfect size for a hat, until you need to start decreases. Then you will need to use double pointed needles. Unless you use TWO circular needles. Then it doesn't matter about the size. And if you use two circular needles, then you won't even need to fuss with double pointed needles. And that is how I prefer to make my hats. Half the stitches on one needle, half on the other. Just make sure to knit your stitches with the other end of the same needle that the stitches are on. If I were you, I would go ahead and purchase the 16" needles, but use both the 16" and the 24". And yes, you can do this in the middle of the project.

If I have not explained it well, you can check it out here: http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/twocirculars.html

or here: http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques

I'll ditto what mudpie said. The problem with the 24'' needle is you are causing roughly 18" worth of stitches to stretch around 24". This makes it incredibly difficult to slide your stitches around AND can cause your finished product to be warped in the end.

Working on 2 circulars is great too :)

Fantastic! I was hoping it would be the answer. Hopefully AC Moore will have the needles and I can work them off onto the correct size. It took me 2 hours and 45 minutes to do 9 rows.... There are 58 rows in the pattern. I have to get movin'.

Thanks for the help....I really appreciate the video links too. I knew you ladies would hold the answer. I'll be back if i get stuck again.

This is the main reason I hate circs. You have to have so many different cable sizes X all the different needle sizes means a LOT of circular needles in your bag twisting and writhing!

Yes, the cable needs to be smaller. In fact it is preferable to have it too small rather than too large (you can bunch the stitches up a little more if it is too small, but you can't work with them if the cable is too large for them to fit around.)

Yes you can work with two circs to solve the problem. Or buy the shorter cable and just slip - or knit - your stitches over.

With many hats you start out with a circ, then switch to DPNs as you make the decreases and have fewer stitches. Most of the time, I just start out on the DPNs and use them all the way through.

Archived