creating a pattern - where and how to start

hi, been a lurking for quite awhile, and now am in the open, would like to ask for your help/tips and techniques on how to create a pattern,

to be specific...

1. I want to know how to compute or find the number of sts to make by getting chest/bust circumference, getting the measurements of neckline to bustline...that sort of thing.

2. How to know how many pattern repeats and motifs to make..

3. Number of stitches needed for a sleeve.that sort of thing..

hope you can help me...thanks!

confuse me...:help:huh

I know very little about designing patterns, but what about starting with measurements of different people? Measure people in different sizes, then make up a gauge swatch in your desired pattern/motif and measure it. It seems like that should give you a place to start.

I would suggest that you make some thing to fit someone and take notes for everything.

The best way to start designing is to just do it.

Gauge and all of that technical stuff is going to be dependent on the person holding the hook so it is hard to find set guidelines for that. Balls of yarn usually have gauge instructions but that is also dependent on the hook and the person.

Make something and see how it goes.

Alot of times I start by making something to fit me. I often will pull a top or sweater out of the closet which fits well and use that as my guide. I also recommemnd writing down everything you do as you go. It's so hard to remember later on. Good luck :)

Archived