Help with Afghan pattern explanation

janal14

Question

So I taught myself to crochet a couple months ago and don't really know how to read patterns. I'm wanting to make an afghan for Mother's day, and am looking at the Lion Brand 4 and 1/2 hour afghan. However, I'm an idiot and can't figure out what the pattern says. Is there anyone else that can explain it in crochet dummy terms?

The pattern is at http://www.michaels.com/art/online/projectsheet?pid=20275

Thanks!

2 answers to this question

I hope this is more understandable, private message me or email me if something isn't clear.

Entire afghan is made with 2 strands of yarn held together and treated like one strand.

To start; Chain 43

Row 1: Yarn over (yo) and insert hook in 3rd chain from the hook and Half-double crochet(hdc)1st 2 chain stitches together, *yo and insert hook into same chain as last stitch and hdc this stitch and next stitch together(hdc2tog)*, repeat instructions inbetween * and * till the last chain, 1 hdc in last chain, turn work around.

Row 2: Chain 2, yarn over (yo) and insert hook in the top of the first stitch and hdc this stitch and next stitch together, *yo and insert hook into same stitch as last stitch and hdc this stitch and next stitch together(hdc2tog)*, repeat instructions inbetween * and * all the way across, then do hdc in the top chain at the end of that row, turn work around.

Repeat Row 2 until Afghan is about 43 inches tall

At the end of your last row, chain 1.

Work 1 row of single crochet(sc) around the entire afghan, with 3 single crochets(sc) in each corner stitch. Fasten off and weave in ends.

Apply looped fringe if desired.

see the original pattern for looped fringe instructions.

Thank you so much!!

I just started the throw, and have three rows done, so i think that I'm on track now. My mom will love it.

Just another reason why I shouldn't try to read patterns during finals week....my brain is fried. :huh:thair

Archived