Greymatter?

MomaChet

I am wondering how this works. Do you have to have a domain name? It doesn't seem to have a server or host to give much direction. I have looked and downloaded the one page they offer. Just not sure what to do with it. Does anyone else use Greymatter and are able to explain it alittle better to me? Thanks

Yeah, you install it onto your own server. Here are the FAQ's: http://noahgrey.com/greysoft/faq.shtml

I had Greymatter years ago. It's good, but almost TOO much customization. I want to talk about fiber and crafts, not spend a gazillion hours uploading things to my server and customizing. :) It's very thorough, though, and if you want complete control over how you blog looks and what it can do, GM is great.

I would strongly recommend that if you're looking for something to install on your own server that you try out Wordpress or Movable Type (don't get confused by the payment stuff they talk about--it's still free for personal use unless you want to have multiple blogs and whatnot) or something similar. I've used Greymatter before and it works fine, but there are a couple of reasons I'd recommend against it. It's not under development anymore (hasn't been for a good 4 years or so, I think), and I understand there are some security flaws that have been found over time (so someone who knows how to exploit them could conceivably hack into your site). Since it's not being actively developed, those flaw aren't going to get fixed (unless someone else has taken up the project lately?).

Also, the reason I stopped using it: my last web host specifically asked folks to stop using it because somebody's copy was using up all the server resources. It might've been a freak thing, but I'd hate to see you get set up using it and then have to switch if it caused problems for your server...

Hope that helps :)

If I may recommend...My web host provider http://www.livingdot.com offers free installation of Movable Type, plus I believe Word Press is included but you have to do the installation yourself through the CPanel. Their monthly rates are reasonable---just $9.95 and you get your domain name included. The customer service is OUTSTANDING! They are speedy with the Movable Type installation, too! In a couple of hours your site will be up and running.

~ Lori

Archived