calculating how many chains for a smaller pattern

Julia from NorCal

Question

I'm making the One Skein Scarf (snb) with Vanna's yarn. I made this pattern a while ago with a small part of a skein of Supersaver.

Here's the question:

The pattern is for a 3 1/2 x 96 inch scarf (233 yards of yarn) with 203 loose chains to start

My scarf in Supersaver was 3 x 65 inches (140 chains) and I didn't use very much yarn.

I want to make a scarf that is between the two in length.

Vanna's yarn is 179 yards. How many chains do I start with for this new scarf? :think Do I have enough yarn? I only bought one skein. (self control)

I wanted to get a feel for this yarn before I invested too much. The colors are beautiful and I'll be making Christmas gifts with this yarn if it works up well for me.

Thanks in advance!

4 answers to this question

The pattern uses 1 skein of Patons' classic merino wool which is 233 yards. IMO, Vanna's yarn (170 yards) is a bit heavier weight than the Patons, but still in the same class of #4 worsted weight. But there is quite a bit of difference in yardage between the two, though.

Well, if you do a straight, simplistic yardage calculation, you get:

(170 yards/233 yards) * 203 chains = 148 chains, just to get a rough idea.

However, you have to take into consideration the pattern repeats, of course. Also, everyone's gauge is different, so some people just use more yarn per stitch than others using the same yarn and hook.

So I'll try to be a bit conservative if you don't want to run out. The only way to know for sure is for you to do a gauge swatch in the pattern, unravel and measure how much you used and calculate from there. But I don't know if it's worth all that work.

In short, why not try with somewhere around 140 chains to start with (you may still run out, or have quite a bit left over, depending on your gauge!)? If you want to make it longer, you may just have to buy another skein, unfortunately. 170 yards is just not going to give you much more in length. I know you said you didn't use much of RHSS, but if you had an 8 oz. skein of RHSS, that's 452 yards and something like 170 yards out of that skein wouldn't look like much.

Good luck.

Archived