Beginner Question

LadyLayna

I posted in an earlier post that I wanted to make a heart shaped bowl/basket. I got to the store and searched thru all the red yarns only to realize I didn't really know what type of yarn could be felted. I am assuming it's wool but I couldn't be sure and I didn't think to ask. So...what type of yarn is used for felting. Can you give me a name brand?

Thanks much!

Any 100% wool that is NOT machine washable should felt. You can also use wool blends as long as the wool content is atleast 70% or more ( it may felt less or take longer to felt ) There are several good brands... it all depends on what look you want. I have used several brands.... Also www.knitpicks.com has some great prices on their wools if you want to wait and order it. If not, just look for a non machine washable wool.

I have used Lamb's Pride, Cascade, Shetland DK, Paintbox, Galway, Jo Sharp, Nuro Kureyon, RedHeart Rag Doll ( testing it now ) Peruvian Wool, Lion's wool, and Im gonna try so Patons SWS and Patons Merino Classic.

Do you have a pattern for your heart shaped bowl or basket .... or are you going to design it? I used to crochet RAG RUGS and BASKETS and they have a great crochet pattern for a heart shape. That should be really cool. Im designing vases right now.... I guess I should have taken the time to write the pattern down. The heart shape should be an interesting piece... I'd love to see a pic of it.

Doey

It must be wool. 100% is the best to start with but a blend with a high wool content works also. Make sure it is not SuperWash or pre-shrunk.

Lion and Patons both make a great wool to start with. Both felt wonderfully and quickly and are fairly inexpensive and easily found in most local hobby stores. Knit Picks also has wonderful wool that can be ordered over the internet or by mail order. It felts great but by my experience, it does have more shrinkage than the Patons or Lion brands.

Remember that the felting process shrinks the original item by about 1/3 so plan the original size by the size you want the finished product to be. It's not exact but it's a guideline. Say you want your bowl base to be 9" across. Make the item 12" across and after felting it should be close to 9". Much of the shrinkage also depends on how loosely the item is crocheted. If an accurate size is desired then I would suggest you find your wool and make a swatch in the gauge you are crocheting the bowl in and felt it to see how much it will shrink.

Hope this helps :hook

Thanks for your help guys. It might be awhile before I can make the bowl. I found a pattern for a heart coaster and plan on making a bigger version of that then adding a BLO to it and then building the walls. I don't imagine it would be too hard. If anyone else wants to give it a shot, feel free to do so.

I've been making some vases and I am using 3 - 50gr balls ( single strands because I crochet tight ) it makes a nice medium (8" diameter ) size vase before felting. Im not sure what they will look like once they are felted but I am only going to felt one, just incase I need increase the size. Maybe I should felt the smallest one to see if that size is okay too.

Yes, I think the 5 skeins should allow for a nice size basket. Have fun and good luck.

Doey

Archived