Thread hook question -- please help!

Stacey

(Wasn't sure if this ought to be here or in the thread area...)

I lost my Boye #4 steel hook in mid-shawl. I picked up a Bates #4, but I'm a little confuzzled about sizing here. My #5 Boye says it's 1.9mm, but the #4 Bates hook I picked up says it's only 1.75mm. :thinking2

I know there are sizing differences between the two, and I don't have a gauge to check how big the Bates one actually is. Other than relying on Murphy's law to make my lost #4 Boye hook turn up now that I've bought one, would it be safest to look for another #4 Boye, rather than going ahead on the shawl with the #4 Bates that I bought? I don't want to have a weird gauge problem! (I already did a little work with it and it doesn't look different, but now I"m worried and thinking of frogging the row where I used the new hook and getting another Boye instead. Then my lost Boye is *sure* to turn up, and I'll have 3 #4 hooks!)

Sorry if that was confusing :P

That is so frustrating! I think it would probably be a good idea to look for another Boye. Not only will that solve your gauge problem, but you'll have a spare in case one of them disappears again, as hooks sometimes have a tendency to do.

Thanks :)) I'm going to try to hit Walmat today and pick up another Boye hook. When I realized I lost it, I didn't want to have to drive all the way to Walmart (20 miles) so I went to the drugstore in my town, which is more like a general store since I live in a really small town, and they have a craft section but their steel hooks are all Bates, so that's what I got.

Since I haven't been able to make it to Walmart between one thing and another keeping me busy, I kept thinking "maybe I can make it work". But then last night I tried doing a gauge swatch with my #5 Boye & the #4 Bates--and the swatch with the #5 came out bigger, so I guess I'd better get another Boye to finish it. Eek--I'm supposed to have it finished the day after tomorrow! There's no way--but then the person it's for doesn't know I'm making it, so it'll be okay that it's a little late...

Archived