Lapghan and Afghan Sizes

Hi all-

What's the standard size of a lapghan and an afghan?

Thanks!

EDIT:

I am trying to design either a afghan or lapghan, I have the ghan coming out to be 60" by 60". I want to put in 36 7"x7" squares with a 2" boarder between each square. Would it be easier to make the squares then add the boarder or to go along in the background color and make the colored squares as I go?

Here's a handy link for standard blanket sizes

http://www.planetshoup.com/easy/tips/afghsize.shtml

Hmm you edited your posted as I was looking for that link.

If you are wanting a square blanket, I'm not sure I'm getting your math. 7 inch squares with 2 inch borders between is the same as an 8 inch square.

To make a square blanket with 36 8" squares, the layout would be 6 squares on a side. 6x8=48. Adding another inch around the border (because my math leaves 2" between squares, but only 1" on the outside), you only get a blanket that is 50" square.

This would be a perfect size for a lapghan, but not the size you had in mind.

On your other question, it might depend on the design of your border but personally I like to join as I go if I can.

An easy way to do this, if you don't want to drag your whole afghan around as it gets bigger, is to join the squares into strips as you go, then it is easy to just make a few seams to join the strips together at the end.

On your other question, it might depend on the design of your border but personally I like to join as I go if I can.

An easy way to do this, if you don't want to drag your whole afghan around as it gets bigger, is to join the squares into strips as you go, then it is easy to just make a few seams to join the strips together at the end.

That's a great tip! I hadn't thought of joining as I go like that. Thanks!

LadyLayna: Don't feel bad, math isn't my strong point either. :blush

I am sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by this? Yeah I really don't want to drag the whole thing around as I go...I'll post a MS Paint drawing of what I have when I get home.

Here's what I have so far. First up is the drawing of what I'd like it to look like. Squares with the gray as the background. I want two inches between each square in gray. The second picture is of the colors of yarn I have. I am now realizing (I have two of each skein) that I might need more, so that's no problem to get.

CrochetBlanket.bmp.jpg

yarncolors.JPG

Ok I think I may have gotten it math wise. If I was to go with a 4x6 ghan, I'd need a 1/2" gray boarder around the whole thing, keeping my squares at

7"x7", and having 1" gray boarder between the squares.

Does that sound right?

I like your yarn! Pretty heather colors.

Your diagram is still six squares by six squares, which means the end shape will be a square, not a rectangle.

Let's back into your desired size, which is 4 feet by 6 feet, (48" by 72") right?

Your're right, if you used one inch borders (between) and 1/2" border around, the math is:

six times 7" = 42"

plus

5 inside borders times 1" = 5"

plus

2 outside borders times 1"= 1"

Total 42 + 5 + 1 = 48"

(Bear with me, I typed that up to try to get to 72" for your length now) :)

Let's try 9 squares for the length

nine times 7" = 63"

plus

5 inside borders times 1" = 5"

plus

2 outside borders times 1"= 1"

Total 63 + 5 + 1 = 69" (close enough, I think?)

Also my two cents, I think it would look better if the outside border was the same width as the inside one.

I'm assuming you going to going to make a grey border around each square, right? What I meant by making strips and joining as you go: after you finish your second square, crochet (or whipstitch, crochet is easier IMO) your 2 squares together along one side. Then, after finishing your third square, attach it to the second square, and so on until you have a strip of 9 squares. Make 5 more strips, then sew the 5 long sides together. You'll need to be careful to stick to your schematic of your color pattern, but you can just check them off as you go.

Hope this helps...good luck!

Archived