Need a tip on working this cast-off

FancyFingers

Hi! I'm making a size 2 sweater from the free Bernat pattern "Chunky - Child's Easy Pullover." Got the back section finished and am working the last bit of the front. On the second shoulder, it says to reverse the shaping from the first side, which is fine and dandy until I get to the last couple of rows...

To get the reverse shaping, I would need to knit the first 5 stitches and then cast off the last 5 stitches, leaving me with 5. Problem is, it's not possible to "cast off" the last stitch on the needle - so there would be a big pucker in the shoulder. What exactly should I be doing here? :think

you should be reversing the shaping, meaning whatever you did at the START of the rows on the first shaping you should be doing at the START of the rows on the second shaping. so if you cast off 5 at the first shoulder you should be casting off five at the beginning of the second shoulder, not the end of the row... or if the problem is that there is a purl row etc you are supposed to just knit/purl one extra row in the beginning before you start to decrease so that you are working o nthe right side of the work

Archived