Crochet Patterns for Dummies

DesertCrocheter

My sister (thanks K!) sent me a copy of the brand new publication "Crochet Patterns for Dummies" by Susan Brittain (Wiley Publishing 2007). I've only flipped through it, but it begins with a discussion of sizing (including a line drawing of how to measure your chest, back length, even your head), sizing charts, plus a lot of basic information and patterns. The usual clear, black and white line drawings of how to create certain stitches, how to read a pattern, etc. Looks like there are lots of hat patterns, some scarves, but what I really liked was the chapter at the end of the book, 10 kid-friendly projects. Yes, it's a basic primer, so advanced crocheters won't find it interesting, but anyone who teaches crochet, or wants to teach her child how to crochet, might find it useful. Patty

I'm going to have to go pick that book up. I started teaching my 7 yr old granddaughter to crochet last week. I had her chain for the whole week--she had to make a chain that went around her room. It was a fun challenge for her. Last night they stopped by and I showed her how to single crochet back along her chain. She has such big plans for her crochet talents. I bought her a book Crochet for Kids that she's all excited about. So, as I said already, I'll have to get this one too.

Thanks for sharing.

Archived