cast ons

paperflowers

I honestly don't know if there is a standard one but my favorite is longtail it's fast and I get knitting sooner.

I can knit on and I have done Judy's magic cast on for toe up socks. I very much dislike the figure eight cast on (also for socks.)

There are ribbing cast on but I don't know how that's done. I've done longtail for ribbed hat and it looks fine to me.

I prefer longtail, partly because it's what I know best, and partly because it knits the first row for me and I fool myself into thinking I'll finish faster that way LOL

Longtail isn't always te best choice for an item, though.

Hi,

There's not really a "standard" cast on. The long-tail and backward loop cast ons are used a lot. I learned to knit using the backward loop - it's very simple and can be very stretchy. However, I now prefer the long-tail for almost everything. It's firmer yet works well with ribbing and gives me a very neat, tidy edge. It is also easier to knit the first row since there's a bit more bulk to the cast-on stitches.

The type of cast on you choose depends on what kind of edging you want and what kind of knitting stitches you'll be using. There are dozens of different cast ons, but I tend to stick with what I like best unless the pattern demands a specialized type.

Happy Knitting! :yarn

Archived