machines

NanaM3

I have always wondered about knitting machines ... not for commercial purpose, just for sweaters and coats, etc

I noticed in our local consignment store a whole box of knitting machine magazines/patterns ...

do any of you use a machine and would you ever recommend it? Do they still work right after lots of use?

I love to knit by hand but my time is SO limited I'd really like some opinions about this.

I absolutley love my knitting machine! I do not knit by hand because it is so much faster to use my machine- almost instant gratification! Mine is a Brother model from the 70's that my mother gave to me a few years ago along with TONS of yarn and pattern books she had. She used it to knit 1000's of items over the years, and it still works just like it was new. I put it away over the summer, but I definatley need to get it out again! If you can find one second hand that was well cared for you could save so much over buying a new one. Just make sure that the needle bed is not bent or missing needles and that the carriage moves freely. There are so many new ones out now though, from the simple sweater machine, to some that can even knit for you. You put the pattern in you want, thread the yarn, start the machine and it knits for you! That would take the fun out of it for me though!

Archived