Switching colors every row?

RunningMommy

OK, I'm a newbie to knitting and I started working on this project last night. I thought it would be a great one to try since its so simple... garter stitch throughout and its all made in one piece then you sew up the seams.

My only problem is how the heck do I change colors EVERY row? Would it be easier to cut each yarn off after each row and weave in ALL those ends later? Or should I keep all the yarns attach and carry the extras up the seams? Its alternating 5 colors over 5 rows so I'd be carrying the yarn up 4 rows... I don't know if that will look like crap or if it will be hidden when I sew up the side seams?

Any advice would be SO appreciated :)

I can't see the picture in your link, but if you're really changing colour every row, I would definitely try to carry the extras along. It may be tricky, but I think the end result is likely to be much better. :)

OK, so here is what I have gotten so far... I'm only 3 inches into it. I've been carrying the yarn up the edges and I think it looks pretty good. I think it will be easy to hide with seaming and a crochetes edge :)

IMG00104.jpg

IMG00103.jpg

Yeah, I think that looks fine. Although, I'm not sure, but do you do that thing, where you don't knit the first stitch of a row? I'm not an expert, but I think you'll have less yarn showing at the end if you knit first-stitches. I know it's a common method, just moving the first stitch of a row onto the next pin without knitting it, but I think it gives a nicer edge if you do knit it, and then just make sure to pull the stitch a little tighter. It's actually explained in Stitch 'n' Bitch, and it works really well for me. I think it would hide the string moving up from each colour-change better. But good job, the colours are really nice! :)

Btw, I run too. I started in January, and it's actually gotten so addictive, that it's cutting into my crafty time, and lately I spend more money on running gear than yarn!

I hear ya on the running gear... we had a huge health and fitness expo here a couple weekends ago and I stocked up on fall running tops. What's funny is I was a runner before I started crocheting and knitting so for me its the other way around... crafting is cutting into my running time, lol!

And yes, I usually slip the first stitch. I frogged the whole thing a little while ago because I realized my gauge was off. Luckily I was just 3 inches into it. I'm switching to bigger needles this evening and I'll try knitting the first stitch instead of slipping it. Thanks for the tip :)

wow... this sure takes me back to when my daughter, now a HS senior, was this age and I dressed her just like this and she smiled just like this. And this week we met with the Navy recruiter!!!!!!!

Archived