What exactly is amigurumi?

Okay, I admit it. I've loved looking at everyone's finished amigurumi projects and thought I had a good idea of what it was until today.

I thought it was seeing just how small you can make say a cat or bird or whatever jumps into you imagination. Today I saw an amigurumi doll that was eleven inches tall! I make one much smaller than that.

So just what is considered amigurumi?

Amigurumi is the Japanese word for working in a spiral, I believe. And, as you probably know, amigurumi is done in a spiral. I'm not exactly sure why, but amigurumi is usually limited just to stuffed animals.

it's the style in which you make it. I believe. also the facial features.. well sometimes.. I read it somewhere saying, it's they fact that it's single crochets in rounds and the way you make the face that makes it "amigurumi"

we love amigurumi and there are tons of free patterns to be found. You can use graph style patterns that are in the Japanese books or patterns that are written out. the main thing to remember when you make it is to keep your stitches tight and stuff stuff stuff. The almost over stuffing is what makes the features pop. There are lots of people here who love amigurumi as much as I do and can be of great help to you.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49729&highlight=amigurumi

This thread is one here that has been running for awhile that has great patterns and great people. I hope you find one and hop aboard...also amigurumi can be anything you want not just animals...cars planes, coffee cups, and flowers...the sky is the limit.

Archived