Web hosting suggestions

earthwhisper

I would like to start selling a few patterns as well as crocheted items. I don't know if I can do it from my blog or if I need to set up a website. Anyone have any webhosting suggestions? I am going to look into business names/licensing this week too. I just need to find a way to support my yarn buying. We are on such a limited income.

I use FatCow and I've been quite happy with them. They were recently acquired by a larger company (like, last week), so we'll see if they continue to be the same. But if you're on a limited budget, I'd recommend just selling from your blog. Check out how Heather has done it at her blog: http://truelovetreasures.blogspot.com/ -- see the sidebar link where it says, "Interested in Purchasing Something Made by Me?"

Thanks Donna, I think I will do something like that to even see if it works. Then, if I am able to make some extra money by selling off my blog I will look into something bigger.

I'm getting ready to start selling my handmade items, and am going to use a two-prong approach. I'll use my blog to show them and to provide a link to my free store, on blujay.com.

Blujay is new, and there isn't a lot of handmade stuff there yet, but they seem to be coming along. They have over 12,000 listings, and people are reporting sales. There are no fees, so how you handle your sales is completely up to you. Listing is ridiculously easy, and each listing (which looks just like an auction listing) shows a selection of your other items. They host your pics (up to four), so you don't have to have a picture host to use them.

People wonder about no-fee sites, because they usually fail from lack of money. Blujay will eventually charge for extra store features, but right now, they're just trying to build up a good bunch of sellers.

No matter where you list, you will have to do promotion. I have my first nine items up and when I get a fair number more, I'll start publicizing my store.

If you want to know any more about Blujay or how I'll be selling my items, PM me. Glad to help out.

Hi Wendy,

I sell my patterns and finished items too and have my sites with Bravenet.com which I highly recommend! I also have my blog with them too....their free services are excellent. I would think though that since you already have a blog you could sell directly from there. The most important (and hardest) part is getting traffic to your blog/site...there are allot of groups designed just for that purpose which I've found very helpful. Can send you a list if interested.

Good luck!

Wendy

Archived