Tank Top Troubles

antara

Question

I'm making Lily's Sugar'n Cream Crochet Summer Top, and I'm totally lost on part of it. This is the row I ended on:

Ch 1. 1 sc in first dc. *Miss next dc. Shell in next sc. Miss next dc. 1 sc in next dc. Rep from * to last sc. (1 dc. Ch 1. 1 dc) in last sc. Turn.

Then, the next row is supposed to start like this:

Sl st over first 9 sts (dc and ch-1). Ch 1. I sc in first dc.

Why is "dc and ch-1" in parentheses? Does that mean I don't slip stitch in the single crochets, or are they counting the dc and ch-1 as one stitch, or...what?:think I'd really appreciate any help anybody can give me. Thanks.

4 answers to this question

I'm making Lily's Sugar'n Cream Crochet Summer Top, and I'm totally lost on part of it. This is the row I ended on:

Ch 1. 1 sc in first dc. *Miss next dc. Shell in next sc. Miss next dc. 1 sc in next dc. Rep from * to last sc. (1 dc. Ch 1. 1 dc) in last sc. Turn.

Then, the next row is supposed to start like this:

Sl st over first 9 sts (dc and ch-1). Ch 1. I sc in first dc.

Why is "dc and ch-1" in parentheses? Does that mean I don't slip stitch in the single crochets, or are they counting the dc and ch-1 as one stitch, or...what?:think I'd really appreciate any help anybody can give me. Thanks.

That's really confusing because usually when you see the parenthesis after the beginning it means whatever you just did is equivalent to those beginning stitches. In this case it would mean the 9 sl sts you just did equal 1 dc and 1 ch-1 but that makes no sense because sl sts don't equal anything but slip stitches. And why would they want you to ch-1 after a ch-1? Why not just say ch-2? What pattern are you working on? Is a net pattern or from a book and if so, which book? Maybe someone has that pattern and give it better thought. Very confusing. :think

You have to register to be able to see this pattern, which is why I didn't initially add a link. But maybe that would be a good idea. So, here it is. Thanks for replying. I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds it confusing. :P

That was my original thought, except then I started wondering what I was supposed to do with the single crochets. Should I just ignore the stuff in the parentheses (always dangerous)?

Archived