Finishing my Seraphina Shawl today...

Thank you everyone for your words of advice and encouragement! I have wanted to make this shawl forEVER and it just seemed so daunting. I've already begun another one as this one finishes off and will make still another once I've found the right yarn. This shawl is addictive (and great for stashbusting- the one on my hook right now is made from all those skeins of Homespun I had laying around...it's a few different colors, but somehow it works). I'll post pics in Show and Tell when it's really done. If anyone is considering trying this, but is aware of the problems in the pattern, my advice is- just get some yarn on your hook and try it- look at the pictures and after a while your brain will start to absorb the pattern and understand how it's constructed. I was able to say, "no, that's not a ch1, it should be a ch2" and such. :clap

I love that shawl! I made one in homespun. And I am making another one in TLC Amore. I had to put it down though, so I can make a few last-minute baby shower gifts(for two people!) I know exactly what you mean by looking at the pics! That was what saved me! Once you've got the first 6 or 7 rows done, the rest goes pretty easily.

well, I stalled a bit last night because I was doing the increase at the center shell and I noticed that my numbers were off...but it was my OWN mistake, I skipped a stitch because I was too distracted (that'll teach me to crochet while I'm watching "Lost"!). I had to frog two and a half rows to get back to my mistake (my BF was fascinated when he saw me lay it down on the floor to try to discern where the mistake was)...one thing that is GREAT about this pattern...with a mistake like that, at least there were only a few places where it could be...as the shawl only increases in four places. If it were any other pattern I might be tearing my hair out! One GOOD thing about the way the Seraphina is constructed. I'm going to try to finish it today before I leave for work at 12:00. :)

Archived