Edgerydoo material size ?

I just got my edgerydoo in the mail today :cheer Tomorrow is my day off so I'm going hunting for something to use for the punching board and some fabric.

Is there a recommended size for the material? I couldn't find anything about material sizes in the intructions or on the website.

Is there any fabric easier/better to use? I like fleece but Joann's has flannel on sale this week.

Thanks!

:cheer You will purchase the material to suit the size you want the blanket to be.

I chose to buy 1 1/2 meters because that was also the width of the fabric. This way I ended up with a nice square blanket.

If you want the finished blanket to be smaller, just buy the length and ask the shop to cut the width for you. They usually have the nice big cutting tables which means you will get a much straighter cut.

:cheer The leftovers could make a nice pillow cover.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

I bought a yard of fleece and got two good size baby blankets out of it. They're approx. 36" square. I think flannel would work.:yes I know fleece is easy because the fabric won't unravel once it's been cut. Have fun shopping!:shop

You would have to serge or hemstitch the flannel. The edges would start to fray through the crocheted edging. Fleece doesn't fray like that.

Uh oh, I should have read this thread before I went shopping. Oh well. I've got a sewing machine - not saying I know how to work it - but I've got it.

So I'm guessing for hemstitch it means just turn the fabric under about 1/4 inch and either whipstitch the fabric by hand or use the machine to tack it down.

What is serging though?

Would maybe a zig-zag stitch all around work?

Thanks!

Serging is done on a fancier machine. Basically, as you seam, the machine cuts the "excess" and does an edge stitch on it, if I remember right. Very nice if you do a lot a lot a lot of sewing.

I don't see why a zig zag stitch wouldn't work, just be sure to not put holes through your stitching, would be my guess. :)

Serging is done on a fancier machine. Basically, as you seam, the machine cuts the "excess" and does an edge stitch on it, if I remember right. Very nice if you do a lot a lot a lot of sewing.

I don't see why a zig zag stitch wouldn't work, just be sure to not put holes through your stitching, would be my guess. :)

Heather, thanks for letting me know what a serger was. I don't sew and had no idea.

I did a quick net search and found that some plain machines have feet which will fold the material and do a hem stitch. But of course I don't have one of those feet.

Funny thing is though I have an old sewing machine of my grandmothers (as in it's in a wood cabinet that raises to show the machine and it's "powered" only by the foot pedal). The silly thing is it's got those feet and in 5 different sizes. The machine works and I'm tempted to use it for those feet - even if I have to hand crank or use the foot pedal :eek

i'm getting one for christmas. but i have an idea to save money on your fabrics.

at joanne's look in the scrap/remnant section near the cutting table. they always have fleece in there. i have a nice collection of fleece already from that section. i'm going to make some mix-matched blankets with it.

you can get the scraps really cheap. they take a discount off.

I also found some fleece remants that were big enough for baby blankets at Walmart!

I found some flannel on clearance at WM for $1.00 a yard. I got them all prewashed and trimmed. Now just to bind the edges and punch the holes.

Archived