Making baby items ahead of time

I agree with everyone! Make lots and lots of stuff (and what you can't use, donate!) When you are pregnant and when the baby comes, time will be a luxury!! How I wish I had known how to crochet before my kids were born! With what I know now, I would definitely crochet lots before baby. You are really lucky to be able to prepare; then when baby comes you can enjoy him/her using and wearing the crocheted stuff instead of stressing about wanting to make it all and having a hard time finding time to do it all!! Enjoy and good luck!!

I think that's a great idea. I agree with everyone else, make blankets, hats, drawstring pants and shorts and a couple sizes of tops.

I made my daughter a hat, blanket and booties while I was on bedrest the last couple months I was pregnant. Everyone at the hospital loved that I had made her something so special.

I would definitely go for toys and blankets.

Also a car seat blanket/car seat cover (this was before I taught myself to crochet mind you...)but I knit a blanket big enough to drape over the car seat without my dd in it to keep the seat cooler in summer since all of our car seats have been darker colors and the metal on the buckles gets hot as does the seat itself.

I also plan on making a couple of hats. Our dd was born in October and it really isn't all that cold in TX, but we kept the one from the hospital on her when out and about anyway till she was about 2 months, then we were given a bunting for christmas.

Booties would be wise, but you might want to make a couple practice pairs to give away first...my daughter has long feet and nothing newborn would fit her at all, so they might be wiser to make after the little one is born, same with clothing unless you could find a pattern for a gown( we were given a set from gerber that were gender neutral, but made changing diapers easy and kept her warm without layering on a ton of clothes).

Archived