Is this pattern wrong?

acraftylady

Question

It seems every time I want to start a pattern I run into problems and the numbers don't work. It must surely be me as every pattern can't be wrong.

There was a beaded mesh scarf at Annies attic the other day. I am trying to work up a sample swatch but can't get past row 2. After I Ch and SC into the second ch from the hook on down I have 16 SC. Then in row 2 I work the pattern as written but instead of bringing up a bead and doing a SC there I just SC in that stitch without the bead since I just want to get this down first before stringing the beads on. When I get to the end I have a stitch left, am I supposed to or what am I doing wrong here? Mary

Bead single crochet (bead sc): Push bead up to hook, then sc, bead will appear on back side of sts.

Row 1 (RS): String 44 beads onto yarn, ch 17, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across, turn. (16 sc)

Row 2: Ch 3 (counts as first dc), dc in next st, [ch 2, sk next 2 sts, bead sc (see Special Stitch) in next st, ch 2, sk next 2 sts, dc in each of next 2 sts] across, turn.

5 answers to this question

When I do this pattern I do not end up with an extra stitch. After you turn and do the ch 3 are you putting the dc in the right stitch? Since the ch 3 counts as the 1st dc you are actually making the 2nd dc in the 2nd stitch. I hope that makes sense. Want pics??

OK so after the CH3 where the SC starts I go into the 2nd SC there right? Well, that works so I hope that's right. I don't know why I have such a hard time interperting patterns. I guess when it said DC in next stitch I assumed they meant the SC right after the CH3.

yeah, the pattern term "next stitch" always leaves room for vaugeness and assumes the reader is already familiar with the crochet standard of counting the first ch 3 as the first dc, and skipping the first stitch below because of that.

a better way to have written that would have been "ch3, dc in 2nd sc, ..."

Well I got the first 7 rows done with 2 white pearl beads in there and it looks nice so I can't wait to keep going. I am using red Caron simply soft because it is going to be another scarf for the aids fundraiser. I said when I finished the last skein of red yarn I was done making them but then when I saw this pattern I just had to buy another skein of yarn and give it a try. Mary

Archived