First time felter

Earthgirl

Question

I'm a first time felter, planning on making a felted shoulder bag in crochet without a specific pattern. I've already looked for the shrinkidge percentages, but have a few other questionmarks.

When sewing pieces together, will the felt wool be strong enough or should I use regular wool yarn? I want the bag to be strong enough to carry a couple of A4 sized books... And if using some other yarn than felted, should I do the sewing afterwards, as the bag will shrink but the yarn used in seams won't?

Another question is about cross-stitching. Again, if I cross-stitch with the felt yarn, will the stitch hold its form after the washingmachine treatment or should I use regular wool yarn? If so, before or after felting? I want to cross-stich my hubbies first initial "J" and would like it to be recognizable also later on... :P

Thanks in advance!

4 answers to this question

Let me see if I can help. I'm not sure what you mean about the differnce in felt wool and regular wool. Any 100% wool will felt, so, I would sew your seams with the same wool that you crocheted with. I would also do it before felting. You can do it after felting, but, I feel that it is a stronger seam when it's felted. I personaly would try to make the bag in one piece if possible. Less work and no worries about seaming.

As for the cross-stitching....I have never done that, so maybe someone else will be able to help you with that.

I'm not sure what you mean about the differnce in felt wool and regular wool. Any 100% wool will felt, so, I would sew your seams with the same wool that you crocheted with.

Sorry, I didn't think when I wrote that. In Finland we have a brand that is nearly a monopoly in Finland. When I say wool, I mean theirs.

With "regular wool" I meant a machinewashable yarn that has 25% acryl(?) in it. What I'm using now for the bag is of the same manufacturer made especially for felting.

If you think the seams will hold, I'll use the same yarn. That was my first choice, but wasn't sure how it would turn out. :)

Sorry, I didn't think when I wrote that. In Finland we have a brand that is nearly a monopoly in Finland. When I say wool, I mean theirs.

With "regular wool" I meant a machinewashable yarn that has 25% acryl(?) in it. What I'm using now for the bag is of the same manufacturer made especially for felting.

If you think the seams will hold, I'll use the same yarn. That was my first choice, but wasn't sure how it would turn out. :)

I'm not sure what you have in Finland, but here, wool made to be machine washable will not felt... it's been chemically treated specifically NOT to felt. I would do a swatch first to see if your wool will felt. I agree that you should put the bag together before you felt it.

As to the embroidery, do it after the bag is felted. Embroidery makes a really nice embellishment on felted bags.

Joan

Archived