Need help With Calculations

Ruthie629

Question

Hi Everyone: Need some help in calculations. I would like to change the chain stitch, it is for a baby sweater.

Pattern calls for ch 38, sc in 2nd ch from hook and each chain to end of row (37) st.

Row 2: Ch2, turn (counts as 1st DC now & throught. 1 DC in the next 4st, (3 DC in the next st-(DC INC. made.) 1 DC in each of the next 7 st, DC INC., 1 DC in each of the next 9 ST, DC INC., 1 DC in each of the next 7 ST., DC INC. 1DC in the last 5 st. (45 ST)

I would like my chain to start at 58 st, this is where I need the help to figure out the calculations. Thanks a Bunch

5 answers to this question

you could chain more than you will need (say, 70 chains or so), then do your pattern repeat until you get to the width you want (57, 58, 59 chains or whatever it works out to be). Then you can just leave the extra chains hanging for a while until you work a few rows. Once you are satified with the item you are making, you can then go back and loosen up and pick out the chains you didn't use. When you get to the last chain, just pull it up to tighten. Much easier math-wise!

:cheer Are the increases to make the piece bigger or are they part of the pattern where you will do something on the next row to get back to the same number you started with?

There seems to be a 9 stitch panel in the centre and 2 X 7 stitch panels on each side, between the increases.

Check out the following rows to see what comes next.

Maybe a picture or a link to the pattern would help.

You are wanting to increase the pattern size by quite a lot but maybe the extra stitches can be evenly added to each panel, unless there is something going into these panels like Bobbles or similar.

Let us know so we can be more help.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Hi Ladies, my god you are quick at responding. It for A Baby sweater, called Aunt Jen;s sweater. I am trying to us up Red Heart Soft Baby. Row 2 is the placement row for the yoke, and arm holes, and I was just increasing the chain row so it would be a little larger.

:cheer In that case, the panels of 7 between the increases are the sleeves, the panel of 9 is the back and the 2 panes of 5 are the fronts.

You will need to work out how many extra stitches need to go into each part to increase it to the size you want.

20 extra stitches will make it a lot bigger.

You will also need to work out how to include the extra stitches into the skrt part of the cardigan, after you join up all the sections.

The extra stitches will also impact on the sleeves when you go to add those.

You may find that 20 extra stitches is too many.

The way to work out how much bigger you need to make it is to go by the tension recommendation.

If the pattern says 5 stitches = 1 inch and you only want it 1 inch bigger, you only need to add 5 stitches to the whole thing.

If you need it 2 inches bigger, you need 10 extra stitches and so on.....

You could work row 2 directly onto the CH and add the SC row later. This would mean you can fiddle about a bit before you decide how many more stitches you need to add.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

PS, It is 10.06am Wednesday morning at my house so I am off out now but I will look in later to see how you are getting on.

Archived