Felted?

Gigiplum

Question

5 answers to this question

a wool blend. Your article will shrink by (?) around 40% of its original size. It makes stuff really warm! I'm going to make some scarves, and a cat bed for Miss Kitty (one of these days......)

Lately, Felted purses seem to be the hot items to make.

Hope this helps some.

Felting is a natural process that occurs with real animal fibers--like wool. When heat, moisture, and friction are applied, the scales on the fibers attach to each and become permanently interwoven. (If you've ever accidently washed a wool sweater in hot water--you felted it!) The fiber also shrinks considerably in the process.

When you deliberately plan to felt something, you knit or crochet it loosely--perhaps using a larger hook than normal, and making the dimensions larger than you want the finished object to be. When you're finished, you can use your washing machine to felt the object. It will shrink, and depending on how much you felt it, the stitch definition may disappear completely, leaving a fuzzy, felted finish.

I felted a swatch for testing, and I was able to CUT the finished fabric--nothing would unravel because the fibers are permanently attached to each other (you can't undo this). I used that information later when making a bag--I crocheted an 8-foot "i-cord" that I felted and cut to make the handles for my bag.

Do a google search to learn more. I'm just a beginner, but I am addicted to felting and will definitely be felting more projects when I can lay my hands on real wool and the creative juices are flowing. That felted entrelac bag is calling my name...

Archived