Knit Pattern into Crochet

Sarloz

Question

I first learned to knit and currently have a few patterns that i thought would look neat crocheted. I currently do not know how to convert a knit pattern into a crochet pattern but i do have a few thoughts on it .. and was wondering if anyone out there who did know how to convert patterns to let me know if i was heading in the right direction. my theory is that you can turn any snit stitch into a sc and just increase or decrease where it tells you to. im not sure if that would work as i have not had to time to test it out. if anyone could help me out, or point me in the right direction ...if there are any help website out there i would greatly appreciate it.

thank you

sara

7 answers to this question

Its like that. You'd just have to watch the height as your crocheting so that you are increasing at the right measurement. I'd do a 4" swatch in knit and crochet first to see if your knit stitches are the same tightness as your crochet, then you'd also see how many rows it takes to knit and crochet an inch too.

Denise

:soap Please keep in mind that the only similarity between a knit stitch and a crochet stitch is that they are made from yarn. The construction of the stitches are completely different. They are not the same size or shape and the "feel" is like apples and oranges. You can end up with an item the shape you wish, but they will not be the same.

Using a Tunisian stitch you can get close to knit, and even use the same hook size as the needle specified, but it's still "not the same".

It is sort of like translating a pun from Japanese to English - you can get the words close enough to be understood, but it probably won't be funny.

(Hops off her soap box and heads to the other room to pet her stash)

(Hops off her soap box and heads to the other room to pet her stash)

bahahahahaha i soo totally laughed when I read that..

:soap Please keep in mind that the only similarity between a knit stitch and a crochet stitch is that they are made from yarn. The construction of the stitches are completely different. They are not the same size or shape and the "feel" is like apples and oranges. You can end up with an item the shape you wish, but they will not be the same.

Using a Tunisian stitch you can get close to knit, and even use the same hook size as the needle specified, but it's still "not the same".

i am aware of the fact that the knit stitch is very different from the crochet stitch thank you ...that is why i learned both....basically i am only looking for the same finished shape.

sometimes while looking through my patterns i will find one i really want to make but at that time my hands would rather crochet then knit or knit instead of crochet..i want to be able to convert those patterns so that i can make the piece while at the same time letting my hands do what they are itching to.

thank you for the tunisian stitch info that will come in handy when i want to create something of my own.

Its like that. You'd just have to watch the height as your crocheting so that you are increasing at the right measurement. I'd do a 4" swatch in knit and crochet first to see if your knit stitches are the same tightness as your crochet, then you'd also see how many rows it takes to knit and crochet an inch too.

Denise

thank you. after i posted my message i started to think about the height ...makeing a swatch first in each is a great idea to over come that bit

Knit Happens, thank you so much for the link im going to check it out right now

i do have another question regarding conversions...if i have a crochet that calls for a row that has both sc and dc in it ...for the knit version would i work in short rows for when i got the a crochet stitch with a larger height in the row?

Archived