New Rows

beefcrochets

Question

For all practical purposes, I'm still a crochet novice. I understand my knitting patterns much better than I do my crochet patterns,but I continually try crochet. I still become frustrated when it's time for a new row and I can't tell where my last stitch ended. I've tried putting a safety pin in that spot, but some how I'll end up with more stitches. For instance, last night I crocheted a little purse, but I still couldn't figure out the writing of one of the patterns. The lines kept saying: hdc in each hdc, slp st 1 in top of previous ch 2, sl st 1, ch2. I didn't understand where I was supposed to slp st the second time and why. It kept giving me extra stitches and then I was confused.

Is there an easier way for me to count how many stitches I have in a row? How can I decipher a pattern like that? Is there an online reference for abbreviations that is more comprehensive than the ones I found? If anyone is familiar with knittinghelp.com, I'm looking for something similar to that. THANKS!

4 answers to this question

That does sound confusing. Is this a free pattern than you can post a link to? Or, if not, can you post a link to a picture of the pattern so we have a better idea of what the purse looks like? Also, might help if you could type out the row above and the row below - maybe if we can see where this is supposed to go we'll be able to help. :)

It sounds like you are working in rounds.

I think it is a bit oddly written. It would be more usual to have the instructions read: "ch 2, skip next hdc, hdc in each hdc across, sl st in top of previous chain 2".

The chain 2 counts as a stitch in this pattern.

Because the chain 2 counts as a stitch, taking the place of the first stitch on your row or round, you normally don't make a stitch in to the first hdc, because then you will be making an increase.

slp st 1 in top of previous ch 2 = you are joining the end of the round to the beginning.

sl st 1, ch2 = after joining, you do a single slip stich, which scoots you over 1 stitch, then make a chain 2, which is the first stitch of your next row.

What your pattern appears to be doing is making that increase (a ch2 and hdc both in the first stitch), then taking the increase away at the end of the row. You aren't supposed to make a stitch in that single slip stitch. It should tell you to skip it, but it only does by omission, by telling you to stitch into the hdcs only.

Try following the instructions the way I wrote them. And, yes, do keep count of your stitches, I do and I've been crocheting for over 30 years.

By the way, here is a pretty good site for getting to know the stitches

http://www.crochetcabana.com/stitches/index.htm

Note that it says the hdc is a controversial stitch with regard to the turning chain.

Also, there are a lot of helpful sites on Crochetpatterncentral.com under the stitches sections.

Archived