Best recs for pattern books (or manufacturers) for accuracy and clear instructions?

boo1

Question

Sometimes, as an advanced (ha!) beginner, I find that some patterns are so clearly written that I don't have any problems, and some......HEADACHE! I started a baby afghan from a little book I picked up and I swear I cannot get row 3 right and I'm about to toss the book.

Anyway, would love some recs for books that are accurate and clear (not as mud!)

Thanks in advance! :)

Laura

7 answers to this question

What is the problem on Row 3? Maybe someone here can walk you through it.

Crochet patterns are written a lot of different ways. I notice that patterns geared toward beginners contain many more details which is great because it teaches you as you go. More advanced patterns take the crocheters skill into account and assume you know what to do when it says "work in established pattern, decreasing 2 sts on each side every other row..." or whatever.

The instructions in your pattern are mostly likely accurate - although mistakes do happen, of course. As far as clear, that is relative to the user so it is kind of hard to make general recommendations.

Let's see if we can figure out what is tripping you up on your baby afghan so you can continue your project.

Here are the two best books I used when I was first learning to make wearables:

Melissa Leapman's Cool Crochet

http://www.amazon.com/Cool-Crochet-Melissa-Leapman/dp/0823011240

and Catherine Lee's Fabulous & Flirty Crochet

http://www.sweaterbabe.com/FabandFlirtybook.htm

both have good explanations, tips and diagrams.

I'll post the row 2 and row 3 instructions later this afternoon; my hubby and I are cleaning house (oops! I must have forgotten and taken a sneaky break). Row 2 makes perfect sense but I can't work row 3. It seems like they just left a row out.

Will post instructions later.

Thanks!

We'll just start from the beginning, because I understand what they're saying but when I'm in row 3, I feel like working on a different project. :think

Ch 146

Row 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook, *ch 3, sk next 2 chains, sc in next ch; repeat from * across: 49 sc and 48 ch-3 sp. (Got that)

Row 2: ch 4, turn, sc in next ch-3 sp, ch 1, 5 dc in next ch-3 sp, ch 1, sc in next ch-3 sp, *(ch 3, sc in next ch-3 sp) 3 times, ch 1, 5 dc in next ch-3 sp, ch 1, sc in next ch-3 sp, repeat from * across to last sc, ch 1, dc in last sc: 90 sts and 49 spaces. (Got that)

Row 3: Ch 1, turn, sc in first dc, ch 3, skip next 2 ch-1 sp and next dc, sc in next dc, ch 3, skip next dc, sc in next dc, ch 3, *skip next ch-1 sp, sc in next ch-3 sp, ch 1 (dc, ch 1) 3 times in next ch-3 sp, sc in next ch-3 sp, ch 3, skip next ch 1 sp and next dc, sc in next dc, ch 3, skip next dc, sc in next dc, ch 3, repeat from * across to last 2 ch-1 sps, skip last 2 ch-1 sps, sc in last dc: 67 sts and 66 spaces.

Okay, maybe I'm skipping lines or something but it seemed like it kept referring to dc's that weren't there.......or that I would have to skip a lot to make the next stitch.......It's so aggravating because it's just the most basic stitches, but I can't make row 3 turn out right. (Or is it supposedly to be ugly?)

Anyone that can see if this is correct and it's just me, I'd be much obliged. :bow

Laura

Try this - turn and ch1, sc in first dc (the dc right below the ch1)

Then....

ch 3

skip next two ch and next dc, sc in next dc

ch 3

skip next dc, sc in next dc

ch 3

*skip next ch-1 sp, sc in next ch-3 sp

ch 1 (dc, ch 1) 3 times in next ch-3 sp

sc in next ch-3 sp, ch 3

skip next ch 1 sp and next dc, sc in next dc

ch 3

skip next dc, sc in next dc

ch 3

repeat from * across to last 2 ch-1 sps, skip last 2 ch-1 sps, sc in last dc: 67 sts and 66 spaces.

Archived