How many skeins does it use

to make a reasonably sized granny rectangle? I started one a day or two ago, and I figured probably 8 skeins would make a reasonably big one, but I just saw an old old thread with one that covered a double bed and the lady who made it used 20! I think the brand I'm using, the skeins are probably about the same length as RHSS? I'm not expecting anyone to give me an exact number or anything, I'd just like a bit of an idea :)

Thanks in advance!

Are you using my pattern from my blog??

It's been such a long time since I did a rectangle afghan using full skeins of yarn that I cant really remember how much ounce-age you'd need, I've been making mostly scrap afghans for the past several years because of finances. (and because my dad had a silly idea that my yarn stash took up too much room...)

I think that the last time I did a rectangle from brand new skeins that it took about 8 - 10 skeins. (was probably using the 8 ounce skeins Red Heart used to sell) The afghan probably covered or almost covered a queen sized bed. Plus, I probably used a larger hook like a J or a K.

I try to not make my rectangle afghans too big so that they're not too unwieldy for the people I make them for.

I'm using the "once upon a pattern" pattern... Since I've started it I've found others that I prefer the look of the centre, but I'm now so far through it there's no way I'm gonna frog and start over!

Thank you for setting my mind at rest a little! I was thinking that 20 skeins was getting a bit much... Not to mention out of my budget!

I just finished a child-sized (44 x 54 inches without the border) afghan using Erin's pattern (many thanks!!). I used three skeins of Caron Simply Soft in lime and two-and-a-half in blue mint. I will make the border this weekend and probably use up the remaining blue. So, in total it took six skeins at 6 ounces each. Hope this helps you!

Archived