Instant Expert: Crochet Pixie Hat help!

peridoxicalparadox

Question

I am attempting the pixie hat in the instant expert book. I have a strange feeling that the patterns weren't tested well. the finished DIAMETER of the hat is supposed to be 16 inches... no one's head is that big! (So i assumed that whomever wrote the pattern forgot their geometry and meant circumference, that is much better) I have tried other patterns in the book and found other little difficulties along the way but my main difficult is this,

The ear flaps do not contain consistent number of stitches from row to row. From what i can understand, it has me increase in row 5 to 21 stitches, but in row 6 only 18 stitches are worked into.

I also had a side note question, the pattern calls for the hat to be finished at 7.5 inches. This looks a bit long to me, especially since earflaps are to be added. Unfortunately I don't have a cute little one to try the hat on.

Can anyone shed some light onto these topics or this book?:clap

2 answers to this question

I don't know the books or the pattern but I would guess that they are reducing the stitches for the ear flaps so that it works down to only one stitch or maybe two or three stitches.

At this point, when the pattern is just not working for you... I say just go with what works for you.

Archived