Need Help with Felting Yarn

windyknollfarm

Question

I am making a prayer/comfort shawl for one of my son's teachers who just started chemo and I picked Bernat's Felting yarn, mostly because it's bulky and I lOVE the colors (English rose). But before I get any further into this, I thought I'd better ask if this yarn is going to be practical. How would she wash it and keep it from felting? What would it look like as a felted shawl if that happened. I've never felted before. Should I stop now and use a different yarn? I am only 4-5 rows in. Thanks!

4 answers to this question

Best way to find out is to do several swatches and throw them in the wash. You could put one in with cold water wash, and one with warm.

Thanks! I'll give it a try. I'm going to start a second shawl in the "I love this yarn" yarn and if the felting yarn doesn't work out, I'll have that to fall back on.

I would include very specific washing directions. They should NOT machine wash or dry, just soak in cool water and woolite (or a similar mild detergent). Blot dry and dry flat. Dependning on the color, she probably won't be washing a shawl very frequently.

I don't think felting is appropriate for a shawl. It will shrink, it will make the wool thicker and lose it's drape.

Joan

I would include very specific washing directions. They should NOT machine wash or dry, just soak in cool water and woolite (or a similar mild detergent). Blot dry and dry flat. Dependning on the color, she probably won't be washing a shawl very frequently.

I don't think felting is appropriate for a shawl. It will shrink, it will make the wool thicker and lose it's drape.

Joan

Joan, I think you're right. I started a second one with worsted weight yarn and I have to admit, it looks way better. The pattern shows up much better. Thanks, Carey

Archived