Simple Ripple stich

JennR

Question

I am trying to do a basic ripple afgan. When I get to the second row my mountains and valleys do not line up with the first row is that bad? Also if it says that i should sc 7 then skip 2 then sc 7 then sc3 in next st it should come out the same at the end but I end up skiping the 2 then not having the 7 sc i have like 3 or 4 so it does not end up coming out right can someone help me. Where am I going wrong.

Jenn

3 answers to this question

:cheer Depending on your pattern, you need to have an increase or decrease at both ends of the row, to balance the numbers.

I have a simple pattern which is just the info on the stitch and you can put your own colour scheme to it.

It has a V Stitch for the increase at the point so you can always see where to do it, without any counting.

This is an afghan made from it.

th_100_0243.jpg

Not the best picture but it will give you a bit of an idea.

Let me now if you would like the pattern.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

When I teach the ripple stitch, I use a diagram I created, to help my students understand how this works. Hopefully that will be of some help to you. (it happens to be 7 sc for each hill/valley, skipping 2 sc in the valleys, and doing 3 sc for each hill, so actually exactly your pattern). On the second row, I actually skip the first sc, not the second (in blue). That's the only correction to this. Occasionally, I'll only skip 2 ch to create the valleys on the foundation chain - doesn't really matter.

cv_ripple_diagram.gif

Archived