How Many Squares For Baby Afghan

alibra

Question

I am making a baby afghan with squares that are 5 inches how many do I need to make a decent size baby afghan...any help is greatly appreciated.

4 answers to this question

I am making a baby afghan with squares that are 5 inches how many do I need to make a decent size baby afghan...any help is greatly appreciated.

I would suggest at least 49 = that is 7 squares X 7 squares as that would get you a 35 inch ghan to which you would want to add at least a one half inch border. (making a 36 inch blankie)

Crib Blankies generally start at around 36 inches but could be larger. If you did 63 squares, you would get a 9 X 7 or 45" X 35" blankie.

Darski...you are the best, thank you so much, you know it's funny I have been crocheting since I was about 9 years old and have never made a granny square blanket...boy the squares whip up fast..this could be my new favorite thing..ha!. I appreciate your help more than you know...

Darski...you are the best, thank you so much, you know it's funny I have been crocheting since I was about 9 years old and have never made a granny square blanket...boy the squares whip up fast..this could be my new favorite thing..ha!. I appreciate your help more than you know...

Granny squares are really wonderful. You take the very same stitches and by just changing the order of the colours and you have a completely different blanket.

I remember one I did once (and this is about 30 years ago) where I did a kind of 9-patch style where 5 squares in a "block" would be yellow and the other 4 squares would be varigated yellow and then the next "block" would have the reverse. I made that with 270 squares in about 3 days. Couldn't do that these days but it sure was fun and was beautiful. I still remember that one after all these years which tells you of the joy of grannies. :hug

The choices are endless, and I can't tell you why I have never done them before...plus they are so easy to take with you...I love this site for the people, like yourself, who are so willing and eager to help...thank you.

Archived